Wiring Diagram

the amp im going to buy is just for the front pair of speakers my question is am i going to totally by pass my stock amp or or do i rewire the out put of the stock amp to the high level inputs of the new amp

rewire the out put of the stock amp to the high level inputs of the new amp

That would be pointless now wouldn't it? What would you be improving? First you would be amplifing the signal once to an output designed for 2 ohms (stock amp). Then you take this signal and feed it into another amp's high-level input, the most noisy, poor quality input you could possible choose. Not to mention the aftermarket high-level input is most likely not designed for a 2 ohm load, more like 4 or 8 ohms. Now you'd be taking the mismatched signal and amplifying it again. Wonder what that would sound like?

Thus, the general rule for quality sound is: Line level is good, high-level is bad. Amplify once, not two times or more. Match the load impedance with the output impedance (4 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm output, for example).

Just as TWINTURBO619 recommends, if you don't know what your in for, I don't recommend fiddling around with it either.

For an overall improvement, I would suggest.

1. Change the head unit. Now you will have a clean, 4-channel line output.

2. Use a 4 (or better yet a 5) channel amp, line input.

3. Replace all speakers including the sub. Sub on the 5th. channel.

4. Wire accordingly, tying into the factory wiring at the amp location, but not cutting off the original plugs. You never know if you'll want to remove your "upgrades" when you sell the car.

Swapping out one component here and another there surely cannot be the road to better sound.

i wanted to change the head unit but im afraid that i 'm going to loose functions from the touch screen to use the radioand the cd changer. so how can i bypass the stock amp for a better one without changing anything alse? how is the out put on the stock head unit is it line level? all i wanted to do is change the amp and speakers until i get a another car and i could finish building the system with a nice head unit. is there anyway to do this thank you hector

i wanted to change the head unit but im afraid that i 'm going to loose functions from the touch screen to use the radioand the cd changer. so how can i bypass the stock amp for a better one without changing anything alse? how is the out put on the stock head unit is it line level? all i wanted to do is change the amp and speakers until i get a another car and i could finish building the system with a nice head unit. is there anyway to do this thank you hector

hey hector, i was checking back on your post and sounds like your deal is more complicated. well since you don't have an upgraded head unit, then your rca preouts are useless. on top of that the only way you can hook up your amp is to "jerry rig it". either that or find an amp that has a 10 channel high input connection, but they don't make such things. the hook up i did on brakatk's system was quite easy. all i did was take high input signals from the rear speakers to receive the radio signal so i can power that sub. that's how it is in my car and let me tell you, both our cars rock hard. with a nice rich base line from the stock sub. it's not impossible for what you want, but it would be nice if you did have rca pre-outs.