Serious Tire Wear Question

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the excellent advice from everybody so far. We're looking for a 95/6 es300 and just looked at one at a dealer. Nice car, 88k miles, drove fine.

BUT, talk about some funky tire wear!

It looks like the front tires were moved to the rear, and rear to the front -- which is fine.

But the rear tires (which were on the front) had what I'd call "serious" wear on the outside tread, say 1" from the sidewall, worn flat. Whereas the rest of the tread was nice and smooth, and even wear. And the front tires had what appeared to be major toe-in wear -- feathered on the inside portion of the tread (as I recall).

Assuming that the "worn flat outside edge" tires were on the front... What on earth is wrong with the car? I don't know much about frontwheel drive cars, does this sound like a serious problem? Is it typical of some sort of Lexus problem, or is it a sign that "Danger's ahead!"?

Thanks,

Fred

At this point I would get new tires, properly inflated, and a 4 wheel alignment. Also, check the suspension for proper shock absorber action.

There shouldn't be a drivetrain issue. I agree with the advice given here & are you going to replace the tires? If so let us know what kind of tires your going to put on the car......I would recommend the Toyo Proxes TPT's. If you check out the threads on here & in the wheel & tire section you will see that they come highly recommended by myself & others. Better than Michelins, Bridgestones & a lot cheaper to boot....an EXCELLENT value! B)

:cheers:

There shouldn't be a drivetrain issue. I agree with the advice given here & are you going to replace the tires? If so let us know what kind of tires your going to put on the car......I would recommend the Toyo Proxes TPT's. If you check out the threads on here & in the wheel & tire section you will see that they come highly recommended by myself & others. Better than Michelins, Bridgestones & a lot cheaper to boot....an EXCELLENT value! B)

:cheers:

As Austin Powers says... "Groovy Baby!"

So --- how much are these tires? And where do I get them? (I'm in the SF bay area)

They certainly sound good to me!

Fred