Tires

bluestu

I need new tires for my RX and don't want SUV tires because personally I think they they look bad with the RX wheels. The only tires I can find that are stylish are the Goodyear Integrity, Bridgestone Dueler, and Pirelli STR. I currently have the Integritys which have received terrible reviews along with the Duelers. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pirelli STR which look like a cross between an SUV tire and a touring tire?

I have researched the tire issue for the RX300 and have come up with a few possible choices in an all-season tire that would probably look good on an RX wheel and available in a 225/70/16 size.

I'm listing them according to the ratings that I have read:

1. Pirelli Scorpion STR - no negative comments, excellent reviews.

2. Pirelli Scorpion STR-A - slightly noisier than STR, but corners better.

3. Bridgestone Dueler HL - no negative comments, very good reviews.

4. Michelin Symmetrix - OK tire

5. Bridgestone Dueler HT - Many unfavorable ratings and reviews

6. Goodyear Integrity - smooth ride, dangerous on wet roads, terrible snow traction. weak side walls. Bad ratings and reviews.

I discovered that you can only get the Pirelli STR (A) tires in a 225/70/16. The STR does not come in that size. Also, the Michelin tires a called Symmetry instead of Symmetrix. I'm sorry for the mistake.

Does anyone have an opinion or review on tires for the RX300? thanks.

What year is your RX? & is the 225 70 16 the factory size of the tires? for the sake of arguement I will assume they are. The BEST 2 possible choices in your size are:

- Yokohama Geolander H/T - S G051 (Treadwear 500, traction A, temperature B)

(I personally think this would be my first choice as it is a fantastic value & an EXCELLENT all round performer in all weather conditions! Check out www.tirerack.com for more info on the tire. Price is about $77 each. B)

- Michelin Cross Terrain SUV (Treadwear 700, traction A, temperature B) Quite a pricy tire compared to the Yokohama at about $136 each! :( But has good performance in all weather types as well.

I hope this helps.....NOTHING else available that you mentioned even comes close to the traction you will get out of either of these 2 tires......I'd go with the Yoko myself as they offer the best traction & are by far the best overall value. :) Good luck!

:cheers:

I appreciate your opinion on the tires and I realize that the tires you suggested are great tires. My only problem with them is that they look like truck tires and I was looking for something a little more stylish. I live in NC and snow is not a big factor for me in selecting a tire. I do need a tire that will perform on wet roads. The Goodyear Integrity tires that are on the car now are definitely unsafe on slick roads. They are pretty smooth and quiet, but as with all the Goodyear tires I have owned, they wear very uneven, especially around the edges.

I am mainly curious if anyone has tried the Pirelli STR (A)?They're a fairly new tire for SUVs and are designed to look and ride more like a street tire with good traction. They come in blackwalls, which is a must. If you get time, check them out and let me know what you think. thanks!!!

Well everything that comes in a raised white letter can be mounted blackwall side out so that shouldn't be a huge concern for you. The Michelin LTX M/S doesn't look like a truck tire mounted black side out.

Does Pirelli have a ride guarantee where you can swap the tires if you aren't happy with them?

That's a good question. I don't know much about Pirelli tires except for the reviews I have read. I didn't read anything about a ride guarantee. I thought they might look good on the RX wheels and I'm just wondering if anyone might have tried a set or possibly the Bridgestone Dueler HL?

Actually the tires I suggested to you don't look (and are not) like the rugged "off road" tires (some of which you listed originally) the are LT "highway all seasons" specifically for light trucks (the RX is the same as the Highlander which is built on the Toyota Camry & ES "car" platform) so much less tire noise on surface streets (that's exactly why I'm suggesting them :D ) especially cause let's face it.....who goes out of their way to buy a Lexus SUV to take it off road on purpose? :blink::whistles: SW said it too......you can turn the sidewalls inside if you don't like the white lettering or I beleive you can just order them in blackwall. Snow is not a factor for you is no problem.......but you should consider the tires I suggested as far as "hydroplaining" in bad rain & wet weather is concerned. Compare them to the Goodyears in all categories. Check the tirerack website for what comments they made (especially the owners of Lexus & Toyota SUV's) B) on all the choices in your size & I guarantee you, the most consistant positive feedback will come from the Yoko's & second is the Michelin MUCH more so over the Bridgestone & Goodyears! Zoom in on the pictures of the tires on the tirerack website (go te the tire makers sites as well to see what they mention) & go see them in person before making your final decision. I have a buddy that has a Highlander & he put the Yoko's on several months back, he thought the tire place replaced his entire suspension he's so thrilled & you will see many comments that reflect that on tirerack. Good luck! ;)

Thanks, Lexus Freak!!! You sure know your tires. I took your advice and went down to a local tire store that specializes in high performance tires. I looked at the Yokohamas, Michelins, and Pirellis. The owner said that all three are superior tires with the Michelins being the most expensive and providing the smoothest ride. The Yokohamas were the best value and the Pirellis fell in between in price.

However, we took them out next to the RX wheels and everyone agreed that the Pirelli Scorpion STRs were by far the best looking tire for that wheel. The tread and sidewalls look more like a high performance/touring tire, but are designed for SUVs and light trucks. The treadwear is 530. They come in either whitewalls or blackwalls. I thought the STR (A) only came in a 225/70/16, but the dealer said that the STR also came in that size. The STR tread design is supposed to provide a little smoother ride than the STR (A).

After comparing all three tires, I'm definitely purchasing the Pirellis, simply because they look the best and are comparable to the Michelin and Yokos in performance. I have a styling car, might as well have the tires to go with it!!!

p.s. The tire dealer also said that any of the tires mentioned would be a drastic improvement over the Goodyear Integrity tires that are presently on the car.

Thanks guys for all your help and great suggestions!!! I think all RX owners should know that Lexus OEM tires are total crap. Why doesn't Lexus put a high quality tire on a high quality car??? Cost cutting on something as crucial as tires makes no sense!!!

I agree blue, it's not just Lexus however......many car makers put in my opinion "substandard" quality tires as OEM. I've asked the question before as to why & the general response has been about the different climates in different parts of the country (let's say Toronto compared to Miami as an example) to cover a vast range of weather conditions. I find that hard to beleive since most OEM tires (take the Bridgestone RE 92's for instance) can't even handle a normal rain storm never mind a snowfall :rolleyes: so I mentioned that to them.......there was just silence on the other line! :huh: go figure! :whistles: They also purchase them in "bulk" so they get a deal on ten's of millions of tires.....the automaker dosen't care if they are a good tire or not (WHICH THEY SHOULD!), they only care about their "botton line" :chairshot: It's too bad, as the way I see it, if they purchased a tire that cost let's say $5 more over all per car they just might sell more of them because customers would love the way it drove that much better. If Lexus Canada is listening, I'm available for the Job (for the "right" price) at your company (perhaps the new CEO? :P ) & will propose this to higher management & substantially increase your profits & sell a lot more vehicles.........after all, isn't that what they are in business for to begin with? :D ;)