2004 RX330 Transmission Fluid Flush

Hi,

Trying to get the facts about a transmission fluid flush.  I'm reading that this is not needed and may even be risky ('junk' getting flushed into the transmission itself).  My mechanic is telling me it requires 12 quarts of fluid to accomplish this, but the manual says the 330 takes 4 quarts - maybe a flush runs 3 times the quantity?  I've not done a flush on a car transmission before. Any thoughts?   Cost is about $360.

1. Labor $170
  2. Parts: $160
  3. Flush kit: $35

Also, should the flush service also include a change of the transmission filter?

The car last had its transmission fluid changed at 65K.  It currently has 100K.

Thanks again,

Paul

With only 35K miles on the fluid, I would think that a simple drain and fill would be fine. In the past, I would do a second drain and fill, 1-2 months after the first.  Is there an interval specified in your owner's manual?

Hi,

There appears to be no recommendation for changing the transmission fluid (?? I just downloaded the maintenance schedule from Lexus) - the service and maintenance guide from Lexus.com says to "inspect transmission fluid at 90,000 miles": 

Inspection #1, #2, #3

Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and

fuel tank vapor vent system hoses

Inspection #2 Fuel tank cap gasket

Body Transmission, transfer case and differential oil

the mechanic said the "manufacturer scheduled maintenance - fluid should be services every 30-60K miles."  Any way, I'm thinking it may be too soon to change it out.  KBB.com recommends not doing a transmission flush: 

Flushing your transmission’s fluid has fallen out of vogue in recent years because the high-pressure cleaning involved may dislodge debris inside the transmission that can literally gum up the works.

I think I'll pass on the transmission flush for now and revisit in about 10-20K.