Transmission 1st To 2nd Shift When Cold

Lexuslvr

I checked the posts on transmissions and didn't find this one....

My 98 has 58,000 miles and was a Lexus Certified vehicle purchased at 44,000 miles. The previous owner got tired of it and bought a Mustang GT...

Anyway....under light throttle, the transmission wants to sit in first gear up to about 25 mph or so for the first upshift of the day. Afterward, it works perfectly. I wonder if this is a built in warm up the engine routine, or if something is amiss. I used to live in 15mph speed zone, so the car would sit in first without upshifting for the first 1/2 mile or so

My drivetrain warranty runs out in 2 months...but I hate to take it back if there is really nothing wrong. Everything runs like a top.

Any comments?

do you start driving when the engine is cold and rpms are high around 1500? or you let the engine warm up completely and start driving when idle rpms are around 600-700?

yes there have been posts about this issue. when the engine is cold it stays in first gear all the way up to 25mph just like you said. try going just a little faster and let it shift to 2nd and then slow down to 25 or so.

I checked the posts on transmissions and didn't find this one....

My 98 has 58,000 miles and was a Lexus Certified vehicle purchased at 44,000 miles. The previous owner got tired of it and bought a Mustang GT...

Anyway....under light throttle, the transmission wants to sit in first gear up to about 25 mph or so for the first upshift of the day. Afterward, it works perfectly. I wonder if this is a built in warm up the engine routine, or if something is amiss. I used to live in 15mph speed zone, so the car would sit in first without upshifting for the first 1/2 mile or so

My drivetrain warranty runs out in 2 months...but I hate to take it back if there is really nothing wrong. Everything runs like a top.

Any comments?

It should shift first to second gear real quick......the hangup you talk about is from second to third in my car. Check again and see if its really a 2nd to 3rd gear shift.....

This is the way Lexus designed it....I don't like it either, but that's the way it is. MIne does the same thing - although now that summer is hear mine will shift much quicker and is hardly noticable. It is only a morning thing like you say....

The shift point @ 25 mph is per specs if the coolant temperature is below 100 degrees or so. A quick shift to second and then it hangs until 25 mph or 2500 rpm before going to third gear. Second gear is synched up to match mph x 100; so the redline for second gear is 60 mph @ 6000 rpm.

WE would never think a think about it if the LS wasn't so smooth everywhere else.......

woa 99, 60 mph in 2nd gear is topped?? maybe they put a 5spd auto in the 99 models but my 94 is a 4 spd auto. top speed in 1st gear is 50mph so 2nd gear is WAY higher than your car.

Yeah.........

99 mph for 3rd gear

about 130 for 4th.......

and of course......158+ using the all out OD :lol:

sounds like they did change the gearing to make it quicker 0-60 for the Gen III's

:cheers: