Thinking About Buying A 1996 LS 400

Enigmatic

Hi y'all, I am thinking about buying a used 1996 LS 400 with about 136k miles as my first car for about $2,600.

The LS recently had its timing belt changed and is listed as very good condition, as well as the paint being in great shape. The LS also has its original engine and transmission.

Is the LS a good buy for $2600 as my first car and is the LS reasonably priced?

I was hoping y'all could help me out with your knowledge or anything that I would need to know as this may be my first ever car.

As long as the body and paint is in good shape as well as interior, all the stuff works? No suspension noises? The miles are pretty good. At that miles it better have original engine and transmission. They both can last way past that with proper maintenance. Do they have any maintenance records? What options does it have? No options I'd gettem down lower, and not all lexus glass I'd gettem down lower yet. A cheapy windshield is not the same as the $700 to $1200 lexus one. If it has aftermarket electronics installed hopefully it wasn't a hack that did it, else the wiring could be a mess.

Word of advice, do not get an explorer. Just do a search for the problems they can have.

Thanks for your input, Exhaust. I have yet to see the car in person, but perhaps soon, I'll hopefully test drive the LS with my uncle to see whats up.

From the online listing, the interior and exterior looks decent besides the really torned drivers seat. Also says the LS has never been in an accident.

Not sure what the car options are, but according to the owner it has power windows, power moonroof and power seats. As well as original radio and cd changer. "Has no mechaninal or electrical problems currently"

The LS is 2nd owned, I think with no maintence record. If so, should I ask if he regularly changed his oil often and what else. 

I think you could get him lower with a torn seat, and dont worry about, options, they are not many and no good ones (stereo), all LS's are super. It should have had a 90k service $1000+ cost. with water pump & timing belt.. and some fluid changes and Strut rod bushings changed.. in its lifetime.. warning power steering leaks are bad... and learn what fluids to use, Lexus is different than common cars.

• 2 weeks later...

All the ad's anyone ever write say "LOADED" and then mentions everything you just did. That is all standard stuff on a normal OPTIONLESS LS.

The moon roof was an option for the Gen 1's, I don't know about the Gen 2 though, and besides it is soooooo common to have the moon roof its like its almost not an option. Power seats, power windows, power mirrors, power ABS brakes, AC, Radio, Automatic transmission, V8  are all standard stuff on an LS.

Options are,  Driver memory, Air suspension, Trac, Heated seats, Moon roof, CD player, Nakamichi sound system, Leather interior, Power head rests, power seat belt shoulder height, (I think those are with the memory option), Floor mats, trunk mat, Fog lights, Power extend steering wheel. That's all that come to mind right now and that was for Gen 1. Gen 1 is 90 to 94.  I know on the Gen 2 Trac, and heated seats are an option.