hmoney

Hey All,

I have a 1992 Lexus LS400, 193k miles. It runs pretty good after a few repairs. Especially the little white wire in the trunk... Who'da thought...

Anyway, heres the problem. My ac control unit quit working so I replaced the fuse, and about five minutes later, it blew again. I upped the fuse rating from 15 to 20. I see where people are saying its the cabin air filter. but I have torn open the passenger side panel only to find nothing... Someone please help me here.

Side note- the was a jumper wire that came off the same fuse. I disconnected after the first fuse so i know its not that.

hud

Hey All,

I have a 1992 Lexus LS400, 193k miles. It runs pretty good after a few repairs. Especially the little white wire in the trunk... Who'da thought...

Anyway, heres the problem. My ac control unit quit working so I replaced the fuse, and about five minutes later, it blew again. I upped the fuse rating from 15 to 20. I see where people are saying its the cabin air filter. but I have torn open the passenger side panel only to find nothing... Someone please help me here.

Side note- the was a jumper wire that came off the same fuse. I disconnected after the first fuse so i know its not that.

hud

I have a vague memory that the A/C fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter...

Fix the lighter...?

And I am guessing that the fuse still blew @ 20 A? Of course, you realize the dangers of replacing a fuse with a higher than designed value. Potentially burned wires. I am wondering if the circuit in question also runs the compressor clutch. If the clutch coil were partially shorted or otherwise compromised, it could still work but might draw more current than it should.

The repair manual that I downloaded says that the ac control and cig lighter are separate... but it also said I had a cabin air filter... and I don't. @landar- I took the ash tray out of the center console to take out the A/c CU, and with it unplugged it still blew the fuse. My dad says he wonders if the fan blower is on the same fuse. And then if not, like you said, possibly a chaffed wire somewhere.

Thank you for your replies!

Hud