2009 Gs350 Awd Underperfomance

I bought a 2009 GS 350AWD demo vehicle. Previously I owned a 2007 GS350RWD. The 2009 GS350 is much slower than my 2007 and is slower than an ES350, a Mini-Cooper S, a Cadillac SRX, just about everything except the new Fiat 500. I have spoken to the Lexus service, but they say it is because it is AWD. I don't believe them. This car is slow. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be the wrong software being loaded in the CPU? Are they worried that the AWD won't survive the power so it is detuned? Is it a Variable Valve Timing Issue? Help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 09 GS350 AWD is only supposed to be 1/10th of a second slower to 60MPH than the RWD version. The RWD is supposed to do it in 5.7 sec while the AWD should do it in 5.8 sec. For comparison, the ES350 does 0-60 in 6.8 sec, which should feel a bit slower than the GS.

All of the Lexus models that come with an AWD version and FWD/RWD are like this, with the AWD type being slightly slower. Except of course for the Hybrid models, which have this reversed. For example, the AWD Rx400h should do 0-60 in 7.3 sec while the FWD version should do it in 7.5 sec. But this is due to the AWD type having an additional electric motor for the rear wheels.

You'd think the AWD types would be quicker than their FWD/RWD siblings since they have power going to additional wheels, but I guess some of the engine's energy gets lost somewhere with AWD...