1990 Ls 400

bencho

Hi,

So it's very cold up here in Albany. I started my car up and usually I let it warm up but didn't today. Started moving and immediately noticed a low, persistent whining. When you accelerate, whining increases and subsides when you ease off the accelerator. Is this a belt problem? Cause I have to drive back to NYC Tuesday. Should I be worrying about the trip?

Hi,

So it's very cold up here in Albany. I started my car up and usually I let it warm up but didn't today. Started moving and immediately noticed a low, persistent whining. When you accelerate, whining increases and subsides when you ease off the accelerator. Is this a belt problem? Cause I have to drive back to NYC Tuesday. Should I be worrying about the trip?

The transmission in that '90 needs to warm up a bit before it will shift into high. That may be the whinning you're hearing.

If so, this is normal. Try letting the car warm up for 10 minutes before driving.

Hi,

The transmission in that '90 needs to warm up a bit before it will shift into high. That may be the whinning you're hearing.

If so, this is normal. Try letting the car warm up for 10 minutes before driving.

I'll give it another shot today. What do you mean by 'shift into high'?

Hi,

3rd gear. It kinda just hangs in second, the rpms go up but the speed doesn't. It sounds like it's whinning. My wifes car does the same thing. Once the engine is warm, the computer is happy and allows the transmission to upshift no delay, no whinning.

The dealer tells me that they all have this feature built in to prevent you from stressing the engine while it's still cold.

Hi,

3rd gear. It kinda just hangs in second, the rpms go up but the speed doesn't. It sounds like it's whinning. My wifes car does the same thing. Once the engine is warm, the computer is happy and allows the transmission to upshift no delay, no whinning.

The dealer tells me that they all have this feature built in to prevent you from stressing the engine while it's still cold.

nah, it's not hanging in 2nd. I took it out today and let it warm up for 15 minutes. It dropped to 600rpm in about 10 minutes and I drove it around for 15 more minutes. Still whines when I accelerate :\

This is a horse of an entirely different color. Checking the the tranny fluid level is a good idea, also check it for color and odor. If it's brown and smells burn't, you may be overdue for routine tranny service, or possibly something more serious. A shelled out torque converter can also be noisey. Although I've never heard of that happening to a Lexus. Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

I had a similar noise which turned out to be a fan bracket bearing seizing. $300.00 towing + $700.00 parts and labor. Replaced Serpentine belt, idler pulley, tensioner, fan bracket, hoses and antifreeze just to be on the safe side. But, I too have that low whine in the tranny summer and winter.