My Trunk Wont Open!

Adam Smith

Need some help everybody. I have a 92 lexus ls400. The key for the trunk hasn't worked for 6 years, but the latch has always worked. Recentley I haven't been able to get the trunk open though. When I pull the latch you can here it clicking in the back like it wants to open but it doesnt, I know nothing is wedged in the trunk itself cause there was nothing in the trunk. Im really not sure what to do. I've had people tell me to try drilling the lock key hole, but im very weary on doing that even though its junk. Tell me what you think. Thank you.

I had my trunk do the same thing except it did not click. The wiring had pinched from too much luggage and we had to take out the subwoofer to get it working.

I'd have someone put some upward pressure on the trunk lid as you flick the driver's latch. Maybe the popper is just sticking and needs help releasing. Tapping with a soft mallet in the area of the latch could not hurt either if lifting does not do anything.

Good luck if you have to go the drilling route. Either that or the dealer. Yikes!

If the key doesn't work, drilling the lock might not work either, depending on why the key doesn't work. Is it a valet key? Along with lifting up on trunk lid while pulling release, try pushing down too.

Its not a valet key and I have tried to push up and down while the switch was being clicked and still nothing budging.

Since it's clicking, it's hard to figure anything but a broken latch, but I'm no expert on that. If no one has a better idea, call a dealer tech and ask if he has any ideas, and see if he can tell you how much it would cost, etc. An enterprising locksmith might be able to get into it and fix it for less (but get a quote, and a promise he wouldn't leave it worse).