Lexus Ls400 1992 Heater Valve Stuck

fgg

I really know very little about cars, and do not want to damage anything on my Lexus. I have a 1992 LS400.

I have read several topics in here about the heater control valve being stuck. My heater is not working, and at one point the Toyota dealer told me my heater valve was stuck (either open or closed?). He did something, and it worked for like a day and blew hot air, but then it stopped again.

My car has at the firewall, a little manual lever with a wire - which I think is where the heater control valve opens and closes. I do see when I cycle my air conditioning system from low temperature to high, that the little wire does move a little in and out, but does not change the lever position. I also hear a noise inside the car when it is probably trying to open or close the valve.

I tried putting a little lubricant on the wire, but still it does not fully open or close.

Can I manually move that little lever (arm) at the firewall to pull the wire in or out, or will that damage something? I am thinking if I can pull the wire out manually and put more lubricant on it, maybe it will start working? Or at least if I have a manual way to get heat by moving that lever up or down, that would be an option until I can get it fixed.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Hi,

Welcome to the LOC,

You need a heater in Florida even this time of the year?

Have a look at the link below which should help you, if the valve is operated with a cable you should be able to remove the cable and then adjust the lever to the on position manually to get the hot water to flow into the heater.

To check if is working get the engine warmed up and carefully feel both the pipes going to the valve, one should be warm and the other cool when the valve is closed, when open both pipes should be equally warm if they are not with the lever tried in both positions it may mean the valve has failed internally therefore needing replacement.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1992_LEXU...EPGKA_8716.html

Thanks steve2006 for the response from the UK!

True, currently in Florida I am not really needing the heater, but I know I will need it soon. :)

There is a lever that looks like it can go up or down, and a little wire is attached to it. I tried to see if I could slip the wire off the lever, but it would not come off easy and I was concerned I would bend the wire.

So as of now I did not remove the wire, or try to change the lever position (as it seems pretty hard to move).

I tried the test you mentioned with engine warmed up, and both pipes seemed equally warm to me. One may have been a little warmer.

I am still not sure if it is okay to forcefully try to pull out the wire to remove it from the lever handle. Also not sure if it is okay to move the lever up manually (with or without the wire attached).

If you or anyone knows if it is okay to forcefully pull out the wire to remove it from the lever, or to change the lever position from down to up with the wire engaged, please let me know. It seems pretty hard to move, and I am not wanting to do damage.

Thanks again!

An update for those that have this same problem, and have a 92 LS 400

I did slip off the wire from the manual lever of the Heater Control Valve. The lever then seemed to move pretty easily, and I moved it to a different position.

When I turn on the air, if the temperature selection is lowered, I do get fresh cooler air. If I move the temperature up, it is now toasty warm.

I will see if this continues, but for now it appears to allow the heat to flow in.

Thanks!