Engine Shutoff Cold - Electrical Problem

cmk033

I have 93 LS400 with about 115K miles on the car. Since the spring of this year, I've been having car die problem when brake is applied (mostly in engine cold condition although it did happened inconsistantly). When this happens, I turn my ignition and nothing. Car doesn't even turn over as if battery is completely dead. I have to pull over and let it sit for a while (10 minute?) then the car comes back to normal. At first, I suspected the battery cable connection (positive or negative). But more and more I begin to suspect it is some type of relay disconnection. Anyone with a similar experience of success?

Also, I am not sure if this is related but my dashboard instrument is not working sporadically. Specifically my RPM meter is not working in cold start condition and then after 10 minutes of driving, it starts to work. Sometimes the speedometer is like that too but not as often. I do not have a problem with dashboard light although the bar to indicate the speed is half dark.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Classic trunk hinge wire harness symptoms.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=50109

"Open the trunk. On the left side you will see a wire harness on the left hinge. After repeated openings and closings the wires inside that harness become fatigued and frayed. Then they start shorting out. Then sputtering, stalling, and everything you describe. This is a design flaw and lexus knows it.

If this describes your problem, then remove the plastic bracket on the left hinge, strip down the harness, untwist all the wires, re-connect, then re-tape.

Make sure to leave off the hinge bracket that ensures tension on the harness. Just let the whole mess swing free and loose.

In my case, problem solved, and no spending thousands of dollars in diagnostics, parts, and tech snafus.

Best of all, it's free. Takes about 30 minutes."

Thank you very much. I have not had a chance to look at this problem in detail but coming from a person who went through it, I already have a good feeling about the problem resolution. You do not know how apprecitive I am about you shairing the information. I will be more then willing to shair my experience about my LS400. cmk033@yahoo.com

Classic trunk hinge wire harness symptoms.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=50109

"Open the trunk. On the left side you will see a wire harness on the left hinge. After repeated openings and closings the wires inside that harness become fatigued and frayed. Then they start shorting out. Then sputtering, stalling, and everything you describe. This is a design flaw and lexus knows it.

If this describes your problem, then remove the plastic bracket on the left hinge, strip down the harness, untwist all the wires, re-connect, then re-tape.

Make sure to leave off the hinge bracket that ensures tension on the harness. Just let the whole mess swing free and loose.

In my case, problem solved, and no spending thousands of dollars in diagnostics, parts, and tech snafus.

Best of all, it's free. Takes about 30 minutes."