Ipod Integration In '02 Es300

ES300_Guy

Hello,

I just purchased a video iPod (gen5 80 GB) and would like to integrate it into my '02 ES300. Of course, there are a number of problems that I have encountered and seem to be left with the following solutions that will preserve the quality of the audio:

1. I have found a couple of aftermarket solutions (such as the SoundLinQ at www.vaistech.com/sli.html and the Dension DICE i-Toyota-R at www.cardomain.com/item/DNSITOYOTAR) that allow iPod control through the CD changer controls via a rear connection. The limiting factor, unfortunately, is that I would have to set up playlists and would be limited to 99 of them. As the owner of 600+ CDs, I would constantly need to update and overwrite them--which would be a pain.

2. According to my research, this dash panel will not accept an aftermarket stereo. So, I won't be able to simply replace the stock unit with an iPod-ready version. However, I am considering mounting another stereo in the glove, routing controls to that unit and keeping the stock unit in dash to preserve the stock look. The glove unit would need to be controlled via a RF or wired remote.

Or I can return the iPod!!! The FM transmitter solution has horrible quality and the cassette adapter is just ugly. Any input or advice anyone has would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Brian

Hello Brian!

I also have an '02 ES300 which has the factory Navigation and CD Changer. I connected my iPod using the Dension Ice Link. It was their first attempt at iPod intergration at works beautifully! Now it sounds bad that the playlist will only do 99 songs, but mine does far more than that! Quite frequently I take extended road trips and have the 1st playlist on mine setup for all the music. I have over 3000 songs in that list and it never stops or has any problems continuing to play after the 99th song at all. Additionally you can use the iPod normally and never worry about the playlist thing... to explain...

Option 1 uses the stereo's Disc 1 - 5 as playlists which is quite nice for changing music while you are driving. I keep my most popular songs in these lists just for the ease of going though them while driving and using the stereo buttons.

Option 2 uses the iPod as you are used to. You can navigate through your own playlists, artists, etc. to find what you want when you want and play it however you see fit. This is nice cause you can easily find you music, but definitely a safety hazzard to do this while driving. I usually let the passenger do this while I drive.

Either way though it gets the digital quality of the iPod direct to your stereo. I would never be without this!

• 1 month later...

I've got an '02 es300 too, and I had the same problem trying to get a direct input for my Creative Labs Zen player. There's no Aux in capability for the stereo, so I ended up getting an FM Modulator installed. It's just as good a fix, IMO, and only about $110 installed.