Constant Fan Noise

Solrik

Hi Everyone,

I have a 93 Ls400 and I just got the alternator replaced a few days ago and all of a sudden I have got a new problem. Now everytime I accelerate the big radiator fan will spin fastand if I slow down, the fan will also slow down. The fan speed is dependent on how much gas I apply, it is as if a helicopter is in my engine, any ideas would be greatly appreciated, the car runs just fine, but the noise of the fan is horrendous. I appreciate any help.

Solrik

you have a clutch fun wich should adjust its rpms depending on the temp of the engine. it looks like its stuck that is why you are always gettin big rpms on ur fan

I would not worry about it. It makes your car sound like it has a even bigger and powerful engine. :D Also- it will keep your engine even cooler- with may increase engine life. It may be something to take care of before winter however, if you live in a climate where the temperature can drop below 40 degrees in the winter.

My car makes this sound at times. A lot of cars have this type fan and often do this. Some constantly do it and it is normal on those.

Good luck.

spinning that big fan faster means big load on the engine. i dont think it is neccesarily good for it. you should call the dealer and see how much the fan costs. dont be surprised about how much though

Thanks everyone, I called the local auto parts store and the fan clutch is going for 52.00, I was wondering are there any resources that can show me how to dissassemble the clutch. Thanks

you dont disassmble it, you just remove it from the pulley, unscre the fun from the clutch and screw the fan to the new clutch and then put it on the pulley. thats it

i'm not sure if u have to tazke the radiator off to get it our for your year.