What Is This Filter/air Flow Adaptor?

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is:

90-96 LEXUS GS300 LS400 TRD FILTER W/AIR FLOW ADAPTOR

It's EBay item #2477807583.

It also says:

Brand New. 3' Inlet. The fine mesh increases the amount of air flow, straightens the flow and stop sucking hot air from high temperature engine compartment Washable,Reusable and Exchangeable Gain instant horsepower (5-8 hp) by improving the filtration process NO modification, easy to install!

Retail Price over $70, get this in wholesale price. New Look for your Car !!

Gain HP? I don't have a clue-looking for your expertise. Thanks.

i didn't look at the picture, but it sounds like its just a conical free flow air filter. you can get these know at autozone, pepboys, ect.....universal fit, 3",3 1/2", ect...

beware, you have to have the MAF connector on the intake hose for the engine to read the air flow coming in and adapt ie...air/fuel ratio.

if you just put the filter on, with no MAF connector, the car will die on start up

it is kinda like cheap ram-air. most of the complete kits come with an intake tube that connects to the throttle body, with the MAF connector, and heat shield, those run around 275 bucks or so.

the conical filter replaces the entire exsiting air box.

if you are just putting the conical filter on all is needed is to remove air box assembly, and slid the 3" adapter on the filter inside the intake hose, and tighten the clamp, like i said b/f you need the MAF connector for the car to run.

it improves HP by getting direct cooler, cleaner air from the intake in the nose of the car, more air more power.

i had ICEMAN cold air induction on one of my previous cars, and it did wonders for low end torque, it also made a loud sucking sound, that made the car sound more powerfull

in all reality on a V8 car you could probably see a again of 2-3 HP, the 5-8 is probably an overstatement. and again it wouldn't be as loud as having it on a 4 cyl car, like the Eclipse gsx i referred to above

A V8 can get the same horsepower ratings as a 4-cylinder. Infact since our V8s are high compression engines it's likely going to increase a full 15-25% mass air into the chamber.

It would be better if you can move the filter closer to the bottom of the car instead of inside the bay for better results, but that's up to you.

Another Intake you could consider is the Injen intake, or visit the SC Forum, and check out the Performance Specs and General FAQ for links for the SC400s.