Need Help With A Laptop Decision

blake918

With an upcomming high school graduation-headed to LSU, I need to decide what kind of laptop I want(grad present). My two older siblings both got top end Dell Inspiron laptops. I must say that I was quite disapointed with the build quality of a $2500 machine and typical PC reliability(sorry guys!)! :(

I've been eyeing the new Apple PowerBook G4 with 15" screen(and the automatic glowing keyboard...sooo cool!). I love Macs; I'm on one of the rarest(and coolest!) Macs right now- the Power Mac G4 Cube(I'll post a pic below, so yall can see how pretty she is! lol). Macs look stunning; nothing can even come close in this department. They even feel like they spend all the money you pay for them to build them; everything feels top quality and solid especially when compared to my brother's and sister's Dells. Even better is their everyday stability; my G4 Cube has locked up maybe 3 times in the 3 years I've had it. Our freshly reformated HP locks up that many times in a day! lol Pros of Mac: quality, style, and most impt. stability Cons: possible compatability issues with the PC world, any others??

So here's the question...will I regret having a laptop that only a minority of the computing population has? I can get a complete version of MS Office for Macs. I can imagine Office would be the most needed app, so this is no biggie. When I went up to LSU for my band auditon, I was pleasently suprised to see Macs everywhere! Any other thoughts?? All feedback is appreciated!

Here's my G4 Cube(that's it...an 8" x 8" cube) with lcd monitor, iPod, wireless keyboard and mouse, awesome and real cheap Samsung laser printer, and a booming Harmon Kardon sound system(sorry about my messy room)...pretty cool little machine, huh?

DSC00560.sized.jpg

:cheers:

The main advantage of the Mac is freedom from virus / worm infections.

Hardwarewise, however, Macs built since Steve Jobs took over in 1998 have been pretty pathetic. Example: I have to buy a new iMac keyboard and mouse about every 4 months because Steve designed them to wear out that fast. Short lived monitors, CD drives and hard drives are also

ongoing problems at Apple ever since Steve took over.

Prior to Jobs' taking over, Apple computers including keyboards and mice, were troublefree for years.

To find reliablle and durable computer hardware you might try a Japanese make like Toshiba.

I replaced my keyboard and mouse because I didn't like the design. I had the mac keyboard and mouse for about 3 years, and they were trouble free. I replaced them with a nice Logitech wireless setup for about $70. That's odd that you go through so many! :huh: I've had great luck with my Mac Cube; she's reliable and solid! I'm mainly worried that I'm going to need some PC only program for college; then, I'll be up the creek w/o a paddle. :( Thanks for your response, Monarch.

:cheers:

apple is way too overpriced, for the money you payfor basioc apple you can get top of the line dell inpiroon fps notebook with of stuff in it. i have both dells and apples at work and even tech support at apple suck!!!!! i rewally have to beg for new parts! plus x86 based dell has many more killer apps. i think the choise is obvious. i dont think you shouyld pay so much $ for the sleek design. i have a budget dell notebook for 800$ and i'm happy, its more then enuff for GPS in the car and downloading pix from my digital camera when i'm on the road