1st time Lexus buyer, seek knowledge

darrrel

Hi, I'm in the market for a dependable car. I'm looking at a 2002 ES 300 with 67K miles for $7.5K. I have googled for info and come to you all for first hand knowledge. I am wondering about the cost of maintenance for this car. I have read that they will last for ever if taken care of. How much should I expect to pay for routine maintenance. Does the work have to be done at a Lexus of Toyota dealership? 

darrrel,

You have heard correctly .... they are as dependable as houses .... if they have been properly maintained and not beat on.

I can't tell you what you should pay for one in your area, as every market is different. Check out your area/state for pricing in the AutoTrader, etc. to see if the pricing is fair.

The best advice I can give you is to buy the best one you can afford, one that screams "pride of ownership" by the previous owner. One that obviously has been well treated and cared for. If you can find one with its complete service history is even better.

Any good mechanic can service the car for just about everything. You do not have to go to a Lexus dealer to service it, but there are some things that only the Lexus dealer will be able to service, such as recoding the key fob to the car, or diagnosing the airbag system, etc. A good independent garage that services Camry's can do just about everything your car would need.

Standard parts, like brakes, alternators, timing belts, water pumps, wheel bearings, etc., can be sourced anywhere, but again some system parts can only be purchased from Lexus (not even a Toyota dealer will be able to get them for you) such as the automatic headlight leveling sensor, the speedometer assembly, door lock actuator, etc. But the good news is that in many cases a good used part can be found on eBay for many dollars less than the Lexus dealer wants. (for instance that headlight leveling sensor is $600 here in Canada, and I sourced a used one from California for $150 shipped to my door in 3 days.)

I have owned a 1997, a 2003 and presently a 2011 ES, each purchased as a used vehicle, and have only ever needed to do oil changes, tire changes and rotations, replace wiper blades, that one leveling sensor,  and one windshield in all of those years ... period. Other than car washes and interior cleanings ... that's it. That doesn't guarantee that you won't have an issue or two with whatever you choose to buy, but I for sure will purchase another ES when the time comes in the future.