front end noise solved

pishta

I had a mysterious noise from my 92 SC400's front end when I went over bumps in road (lane markers, cracks, etc) Sounded like a bushing was bad. It was a "snare drum" noise instead of a "bass drum" noise you hear on a new car so I suspected a insulator was shot. While I was down there installing new ceramic brake pads (my semi-metallics were close to wear indicators) I looked at the lowers, uppers, strut ends and sway bar links and all seemed tight and visibly good. The pads went in after I got the pistons retracted, and I vented the brake fluid that was displaced with new pads. While breaking in the pads, I noticed the suspension noise had disappeared! Ive driven it 30 miles since and no more "snare drum" noise when I go over sharp bumps, its now back to the good 'ol Lexus solid bass drum sound. My pads didnt seem loose in their calipers but I wonder if they were at speed? Just a feel good story I thought I would share. Now its to the body shop to get the rear bumber cover repainted after a very mild rear end bump. The clear coat cracked and some paint crazing where the bumper flexed as well as a 3mm gap between the right taillight and the trunk lip. It looks like the frame of the light may have been displaced from behind the steel bumper bar. $975.80 quote..bummer for the insurance company. Guy that hit me was insured under my company so $250 deductible was waived. 

Thanks for that information Pishta, very useful for other members that may experience the same noise.

I do wonder if the pads were slightly loose in the calipers so therefore slightly chattering going over bumps.

Good luck with the bodywork