Switiching Burned Out Halogens for HID's!

Lexus09ES

Well today I noticed that my drivers side headlamp was blow out in my ES and I got to thinking what if I replace the halogens with HID Bulbs. Has anybody let their Lexus dealer install that because I don't have the time to do it myself. And one question does the ES with Halogen Headlamps have the AFS  lighting or was that just for ES's that were ordered with the HID's?

Lexus09ES,

You may be biting off a big (read expensive) chunk to do the switch from halogens to HID's. While halogen bulbs run $15 each, the Hid's are twice that, but have to be matched with a HID ballast and wiring harness that run $70 each. And will the standard wiring harness in your car plug into the ballast? Is there even room to mount the ballast behind the headlight assembly, or do you have to have a whole different headlight assembly for them to fit.? And then you'll have the motorized headlights that won't be motorized because you won't have the harness to the rear suspension and the sensor that tells the lights to move, and on and on.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but you need to do some research before you start spending money and get disappointed. Check the parts and pricing on eBay to see what I'm referring to.

My wife's ES350 has the Adaptive Front Lighting System and HID's, and they work well, but I'm not certain that I'd be willing to make the change over from halogens just to get it.

• 4 weeks later...