Gear Position is different from actual MPH

Hi. I'm new to the forum and I was hoping to get some answers to my question.  I was looking at a used 2007 IS250 Auto.  When I test drove the car, the actual gears seems to be changing fine.  However, it doesn't seem to be synced with the gear position on the dashboard.  From a stop sign, I drove up to 25 mph.  I felt the gears change once.  When I looked at the dashboard, it said the gear position was on 5th.  Is this normal?  Thank you

Unless you use a Sport mode, they upshift very quickly and smoothly. I assume you are looking at the shift position indicator. Set to manual mode and watch it as you shift. (well watch with one eye but keep the other handy for the road of course). 

Hi. I had it on the regular "D"rive.  It just didn't seem right that I went from 0 mph to 25 mph and it shows 5th Gear Position on the dashboard.  I can imagine it moving to 3rd or 4th gear but 5th gear just seemed too far up the gear at 25 mph.  The car would be used for commuting so it'll be mostly be in Drive mode and seeing that is disturbing.  Thank you

Fuel saving thing. Ahh. Use sport mode and floor it often. Regular mode is why they can get 25mph out of an 19mpg car. Try for the 19, it's more fun, promise you. 

Denny

I found a person at my work who drive a 2006 IS and this didn't occur on her car.  When she drove 25mph on Drive, it showed '3rd' Gear Position.  It was accurately showing the correct gear based on the speed.  Not sure what would be the problem on the 2007 IS that we test drove, but this doesn't seem to be a normal thing.