Oil Weight? Winter/summer

silvermate

Silver,

A great discussion topic.....

I have done it in the past on my older cars - with dino oiil. But haven't planned on it with the LS _ Especially with SYNTHETIC. Although I am open to hear the comments :D

5-30w is what's recommended, and since SYNTHETIC is SOOOOO DURABLE, I can't see it failing - I don't think the heat would get to it.

I think the 5w is perfect for startups in any weather (especially COLD!) and the

30W can withstand the summer.

Logic tells me : the temperature guage remains virtually the same in winter or summer, so the engine temperature must remain somewhat the same too. The oil itself helps maintain stable engine temps - especially the synthetic.

The entire purpose of multi-graded oils like 5W-30 and 10W30, was to eliminate the need to change oil seasonally. Some market their oils as "all season", which they are.

The introduction of 5W30 in the late 1980's was to improve lubrication at start-up and reduce friction to increase fuel economy during warm-up.

As was mentioned, 5W-30 is great year-round. Here in Canada we have 0W-30 as well for the more "northern" climatic conditions. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my LT-1 Camaro, and the Lexus, year round.