Is it just me or is it my car?

TLMichelle

I have a 1994 Lexus SC300 that I recently bought used, so I don't know its history. It has keyless entry, which I really want to use, but it doesn't work. I know the transponder in the key sends the signal when the button is pressed because I've tested it with that 94.9 radio trick. Since the transponder works but the car doesn't remotely unlock, I'm assuming it needs to be programmed. There are all these crazy steps to take on the Internet to get into "diagnostic mode" that I've been trying repeatedly - open door, actuate locks, stick the key in the ignition and pull out, lock and unlock the doors a million times, do something else with the key, close the door, open the door, lock and unlock door more times, etc., etc. - but the only feedback I get from the car after I do all the steps exactly as instructed is the buzz sound from the motor in the radio antenna. It should instead automatically actuate the locks, but it doesn't.

Maybe I am doing it wrong - I can't tell because the car doesn't say one way or the other. I could keep trying, but I'm getting tired of this. So now I have to ask, is it possible that it's not me and there is something broken about the car that is preventing me from entering "diagnostic mode" like a computer failure or something wrong with the locks?

• 3 years later...