Battery drains

How long can a 06 RX 330 with 54000 miles sit in a garage and one can expect to start it? At times we don't start it for a month. Hook up battery charger for short time and then starts all the time. This time only 2 weeks and car will barley turn over then click, click.. Once a battery has had this happen a few times, does that mean it will not hold a charge any longer? Purchased this car new and this is the 3rd battery. Seems it has a small drain on the battery when it sits. Is there a reasonable amount of time that an auto can sit and still start?

First, you should never let a battery drain to a charge that is not strong enough to start the vehicle. Every time this happens, you shorten the life of the battery. If you know the vehicle will not be started for more than a couple of weeks, you should use a battery maintainer like the battery tender plus. They keep the battery fully charged so that you will never be surprised when you do go to start your vehicle.

Now, you may have some life left to your battery and you can maximize that by hooking up a Battery tender before not driving it for an extended amount of time. We are on our third battery as well. Each lasted about 5 years.

Thanks RX400h for the prompt reply. I had always thought and was told (After many years of my own observations) that once a battery goes down, (not deep cycle), it's days are numbered. We have a couple of cars and it is always easier to leave the RX in the garage. We try to make an effort to get it out 'once in a while' but time carries on. Battery minder would be useful but when you think it will be driven shortly, probably would not put it on. Yes, batteries are costly!!  I was wondering,,,, on a new battery about 1 or 2 years old, how long would it last in my car, in the garage, not driven? Is there a lot of drain on it?  Thanks again.

JB, I wouldn't expect any more that 3 weeks, but really, that depends on how long previous drives have been. For example, a quick, 2-3 mile trip to the grocery store every so often will not sufficiently charge the battery. After a few of these short trips over a span of a month or two, your battery, being only partially charged, would not be likely to last nearly as long as a fully-charged battery, each having the typical constant drain on it while not being charged (sitting in the garage)

Also, I noticed that you hooked up the battery charger "for a short time". You should always charge the battery until it is fully charged, not just until it can turn over. I suspect that your battery is still not fully charged.

RX400h, you must have been looking over my shoulder. That is almost exactly what I have been doing all this time. Glad I mentioned those in response. Sometimes we can't see the road ahead for that flashing light in the rear view mirror.    I will change my ways. Thanks for the feedback.