'05 Ls430 Very Strange

sailwindtwo

So I went out to the garage this morning, got in my car, punched the garage door opener and while it was opening, I cranked my car. There was a horrible grinding noise and at first I thought it was the garage door opener. Then the car started idling very rough and what sounded like a valve tapping very loudly. I shut the car off and opened the hood. When I got out of the car to look under the hood, I could smell what smelled like burnt oil. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was clean and correct in the amount and there was no water in it. I got back in and turned the ignition switch and cranked it again. The motor turned over but seemed like it skipped and didn't start. I cranked it again and it cranked and idled rough for about 10 seconds then smoothed out. No more weird noises or valve tapping sounds. I drove it to the store, about 5 miles away, and it ran smooth as usual. Came out of the store and drove home just as smoothly as it usually is. I have never had that happen before and don't have the slightest clue what it could have been. Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE:

So I talked to my bro in law and told him about it and he says it was probably one of my fuel injectors that may have leaked some fuel into one of the cylinders after I turned off the car the last time I drove it. This would make complete sense as to the knocking I heard when I cranked it this morning. It was getting the raw fuel out of the cylinder. It also explains the burnt smell I experienced when it happened. He suggested getting a bottle of fuel injection cleaner and running it in my next full tank. He says he's seen that happen before and if it continues to happen, I may have to get the injectors checked and if need be, replaced.

A horrible grinding noise at startup sounds to me like the starter acted up...gears engaging when they should not. Like a temporarily stuck (welded) solenoid. It happens sometimes. I can't explain the burnt oil and rough idle however.

My question is when was the starter last replaced? :whistles:

A horrible grinding noise at startup sounds to me like the starter acted up...gears engaging when they should not. Like a temporarily stuck (welded) solenoid. It happens sometimes. I can't explain the burnt oil and rough idle however.

My question is when was the starter last replaced? :whistles:

The starter has never been replaced. The starter works fine. I'm fairly confident it was some raw fuel that was in a cylinder that after the knocking and rough idle cleared and ran smoothly. The starter doesn't fail at all. The engine skipped when I hit the ignition the second time because there was still some residual fuel in the cylinder I think. The noise wasn't until after I started the car. Sorry for the poor ability I have of describing the problem ;-)