Help Me Prioritize Maintenance 1997 Es300

revheck

Folks, money is tight and I am not really a car guy. I appreciate your help prioritizing maintenance of my 1997 ES300 with 220,000 miles. KBB value of only $1800. On the other hand, liability-only insurance is cheap since I dropped collision/comprehensive.

It needs some significant maintenance:

• I should replace the timing belt. Last time was at about 120K miles.
  • I need new tires. (I can't quite see Abe's head yet, but it is getting close).
  • Probably should change all belts and hoses.
  • Needs new rear struts
  • I needs to change all fluids: oil, transmission, coolant.

Finally, the transmission slips when in reverse and some day transmission will just go and I won't replace it. That said, it has been doing this since 150K miles and I've gotten another 70K out of it.

How much money should I put into this car and what should I do first?

Thanks for your help.

I would definitely do all of above but purchasing a vehicle with transmission problems can be really risky.

Did you get this car for free???

Do you have a personal mechanic where you can purchase OEM parts and have them do the work at a reduce rate?

Just curious....

No, I've had this car for 10 years. I bought it at 105K miles for $7K. It did not have transmission problems then. I keep thinking the trans will go, but it doesn't.

If I do all of the above it could cost more than car is worth. I'm just trying to decide how much money to plow into it to keep it going, versus buying another car.

I would spend just enough to keep the car moving safely if it has so low a value that it isn't worth insuring. I wouldn't replace any belts or hoses unless they look like they are about to fail. A proper timing belt replacement that includes the water pump, tensioner and idlers will cost nearly as much that KBB value. Timing belts rarely fail on their own - usual cause is another part failing, e.g. the water pump.

Sure, do basic fluid and filter changes - decent coolant is important if you live where the whether gets cold.

I would save the money you would spend fixing this ES up and prepare to buy a newer, lower mileage vehicle.

• 3 months later...
On October 25, 2015 at 6:35 AM, revheck said:

Folks, money is tight and I am not really a car guy. I appreciate your help prioritizing maintenance of my 1997 ES300 with 220,000 miles. KBB value of only $1800. On the other hand, liability-only insurance is cheap since I dropped collision/comprehensive.

It needs some significant maintenance:

• I should replace the timing belt. Last time was at about 120K miles.
  • I need new tires. (I can't quite see Abe's head yet, but it is getting close).
  • Probably should change all belts and hoses.
  • Needs new rear struts
  • I needs to change all fluids: oil, transmission, coolant.

Finally, the transmission slips when in reverse and some day transmission will just go and I won't replace it. That said, it has been doing this since 150K miles and I've gotten another 70K out of it.

How much money should I put into this car and what should I do first?

Thanks for your help.

I'm like you in that I don't have money to dump (at least all at once) into Lexi girl. Based off of that and other forums I attend I would:

1. Do the fluids. In this order, oil, xmsn, coolant (Toyota red or green) Just don't mix them or they'll sludge.
  2. DIY fuel system cleaner (Gumout "Regane") follow directions. The stuff actually works IMHO.
  3. If the tires can go another few months with rotation fine. If not be prepared to spend in about 5 months. Driving conditions dictate of course.
  4. Actually hose and belt replacement can go along with coolant flush and before tires if again, "Abe's head is covered".
  5. Struts will have to be replaced along with tires or shortly thereafter.

Hope this helps.

P.s. I know it wasn't included but changing your plugs, wires and cap and rotor should be somewhere on the list to get her purring again.