Lower Control Arm R&r

lex4me

Hello! I have a 91 LS400 that I am performing major suspension surgery on - new almost everything. In the process, I had wanted to replace my lower control arm bushings with the Daizen Sport variety. I got the passenger side out just fine, but the driver side is giving me some grief. It seems that in order to get the bolt out that connects the arm to the subframe, I'll have to drop the steering rack. I am tempted to just cut the bolt, get a replacement, and install it from the front instead of from the back. Any issues with doing this? Has anyone else had this experience? Please advise.

you dont have to go as far as dropping it but you have to take it off the mounts which is like 4 bolts then you can push it away far enough to get the bolt out. i did this a couple months ago.

Thanks for the tip! Did you put the bolt back in the same way again after you were all done or did you switch it to have it coming in from the front? I am wondering about camber adjustment issues if I switch it...

You may have noticed from my other posts that I decided to replace the rack anyway, making getting the bolt out an easy process. :) I didn't have luck getting it out just by loosening or even removing the bolts holding the rack to the subframe, though. The lower control arm bolt finally was able to come out for me at least only after the rack was almost all the way off of the car. On hindsight, this probably would not have been the case had I removed the four bolts, raised the engine an inch or so, and then tried it. Oh well. Doesn't matter now as the old rack is off.

I do have a question about that bolt, though. It seems that there couldn't be any difference between installing it from the front of the car or from the back of the car. I have tried it both ways and the camber adjustment works identically in either position. I take it from your post, however, that you noted something different. What am I missing? As it stands, I plan on reinstalling that bolt from the front to completely avoid having to mess with the rack should I have to remove the lower control arm ever again.

that bolt has a big washer stuck to it that has some markings right? looks like angles. i hope you marked where the position was before taking off that bolt because that will change your camber. and well if you believe that it can be done the other way then give it a try you just might have to get it alligned.

With everything that I am replacing, I was planning on getting an alignment anyway. What I discovered, FWIW, is that the cam washer fused to the head of the bolt sits in the same orientation as its equivalent that is placed on the other end of the bolt by the nut. Regardless, I did place matchmarks noting the position of the bolt on both sides prior to removal. Thanks! I bet I couldn't get that bolt out without almost completely removing the rack since my engine mounts were shot and allowed the drivetrain to sit lower than it should.