Keep The 99 Lexus E300 Or Cut Our Losses?

MsBee

oh my friends. I need some advice.

My husband is in the Army. We relocated to Hawaii about a month ago and they are shipping our car to us.

In the meantime we didn't want to have to rent a car, so, exhausted and just over it, we bought this 99 EX 300 from a guy on Craigslist without taking it to a mechanic or checking the carfax. We learned our lesson. Never again.

Well we can't look back so only forward. Sigh.

Here are the good things! Good to think positive, right?

135k miles - not bad for an old car.

Starts strong, engine seems to run well

A/C is very cold - very necessary here!

Windshield wipers are *awesome*. Yeah, I know, I'm grasping.

Here is what's wrong:

As soon as we drove away: check engine light on

Code is O2 sensor

Oil leaks: various that were not apparent because of THE ENGINE BEING CLEANED! I knew at that moment we shouldn't have bought it, but exhaustion won the day.

Transmission fluid black

Front seat ripped up a bit and armrest console is worn (cosmetics weren't as much of an issue for us.)

Worst: it started raining and after a while we noticed a lake forming on the floor of the rear passenger seat. Localized there. We can't see where it's coming from.

The drivers door doesn't close quite properly, but that is not as much of an issue.

OH and now the control arm and bushing have now given up on us as well.

Motor mounts broken

Rear shocks need replacing (not urgent)

Here's the deal.

We paid $3k for it. The guy claimed that the timing belt had been replaced. It is registered and safety checked.

We paid $500 for the transmission fluid to be flushed (that was ugly - I watched) and the motor mounts replaced (front and side I believe)

Now it will be $500 for O2 sensor and control arm.

So here's the repair list of what the mechanic thinks are priority:

Window leak will take time to diagnose so may make sense for us to try to locate it ourselves.

Timing belt kit replaced seals etc

Valve cover gaskets leaking

Shocks?

Seat replaced?

Leak troubleshooting

It's like 2k more of work and no guarantee it will be ok.

We need the car for only 3 years - should we cut our losses and sell it cheap? Or put the money into it and drive it until we sell it before we leave the island?

Your advice is so welcome!!'

msbee,

No one is going to give you any advice here because from your description ....its just too difficult to give you an answer.

The guys who are mechanically inclined and do all of their own repairs, have another ride or two, and have the tools and a place to do the work, ... and have the cash on hand ....well, they'll tell you to go ahead and fix it.

The people without the knowledge and experience and cash, etc., will hold off saying anything because they aren't sure themselves what they would do.

Myself, I'm a backyard mechanic, and I'd go for it. But, I don't want to encourage you to spend the cash and have it come back to bite you. You may well not be in the position to take that kind of financial hit if it goes badly.

I'm sorry, but most of us would say that this is a call you'll have to make yourself, because the outcome isn't a sure thing.

I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck!