Service Items On 2002 With Only 23k Miles?

Jeff SC

We recently bought our SC 430 with only 23K miles and my Lexus dealer is saying we need the full 90K service package including new timing belt. Does that make sense when the car is driving perfectly fine?

Always garage kept and former owner also changed the oil five times in that long 13 year period. Should we perform any of the long list of service items listed in the 90K maintenance schedule? Maybe cooland flush, brake fluid, trans and differential fluids? Does this car have a fuel filter?

Many thanks!

Only you can decide whether to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Previous owner(s) obviously did not.

The cost of the 90K service might seem high in light of the car's current value and age. Is this a car that you would like to keep for a number of years? Is it something you would be OK with walking away from if the engine was severely damaged by a failed tensioner, idler, etc.?

It is totally your call on what to do. I follow maintenance schedules closely but I know that many people do not.

There is a fuel filter in the fuel tank but it is not a normal maintenance item.

If your SC has the navigation system, you might be interested in knowing that there will be no more annual map updates for the generation 2 navigation system although the final map update was fairly recent.

1990LS400... Thanks for the info and advise. Is the last generation 2 navigation system upgrade available online or dealer only?

Some people buy nav discs on ebay, Amazon, etc. but be careful to get an original disc and not a hot copy. OEM discs are relatively inexpensive.

The following web page shows the generation 2/3 disc you need at bottom of the chart: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

I don't know what the West/East dealer verbiage is about; I thought the disc covered the entire U.S. You might look around the lexusnavigation website - there is a page where you can enter the VIN of your car.

The final gen 2/3 map update was released in 2013 and has part number suffix "-13".

I think you can see the release year of your current maps by selecting settings without having to remove and eyeball the disc.

Attached are instructions on how to install a map update disc in a number of models including the SC430.

Navigation_Update_InstallationGuide.pdf