Engine Compartment Liner Sagging (lower)

prix

About a week ago, while checking the underside of the car for scrapes, etc., I noticed the engine compartment liner -- the metal...at least I think it's metal...sheet that covers the underside of the engine and protects it from the road -- is sagging. It hangs down 1-2 inches in a slight bow shape...this is along the front edge of the liner (underneath the radiator?). Looks like a couple of bolts are missing, because I can see two screw holes in the sagging liner. This means that as I drive, I'm 'scooping' up air and channeling it up into the engine compartment! Anyway, I've never noticed this before, and I think I would have because I check for leaks/fluids under the car from time to time. Question: Had valve cover gasket seals replaced a few months ago. Do you think this sagging liner problem is related to that repair? I guess I'll look like an idiot if it turns out that they didn't remove the liner to do that repair, but I thought it might be related, and that they should fix it if it's their oversight. The car hasn't been serviced anywhere else since the valve gasket repair. I can't figure out how else it might have happened.

About a week ago, while checking the underside of the car for scrapes, etc., I noticed the engine compartment liner -- the metal...at least I think it's metal...sheet that covers the underside of the engine and protects it from the road -- is sagging. It hangs down 1-2 inches in a slight bow shape...this is along the front edge of the liner (underneath the radiator?). Looks like a couple of bolts are missing, because I can see two screw holes in the sagging liner. This means that as I drive, I'm 'scooping' up air and channeling it up into the engine compartment! Anyway, I've never noticed this before, and I think I would have because I check for leaks/fluids under the car from time to time. Question: Had valve cover gasket seals replaced a few months ago. Do you think this sagging liner problem is related to that repair? I guess I'll look like an idiot if it turns out that they didn't remove the liner to do that repair, but I thought it might be related, and that they should fix it if it's their oversight. The car hasn't been serviced anywhere else since the valve gasket repair. I can't figure out how else it might have happened.

actually the under cover is plastic they are subject to being knocked loose if bottom of car scrapes something like speed bumps or gutters. the cover is held in by screws that go into plastic inserts and can be purchased for about 3.00 at lexus

That's just the engine under cover plate.......but it is attached with around 11 bolts/snaps. It's possible some of these snaps have been broken off and thus causing the "sagging".

They shouldn't have messed with it - as the valve covers are accessed from the top of the engine ;)

You can get new snaps or bolts cheaply to "tighten" the cover up!!

Thanks both! Didn't want to blame the mechanic of anything unfairly...sounds like he didn't even remove it to do that repair, so no, that's not his responsibility. I'll take are of it! Cheers.