Unintended Acceleration 2014 Es350

I was slowly pulling into my garage when the car suddenly accelerated. I heard the engine rev. My family was in the car and they screamed with fright. Fortunately, I applied the brakes before the car crashed into the garage wall. My foot was lightly pressing the accelerator because the car was slowly cruising in the garage so I know I didn't press hard on the gas pedal.

I reported the incident with the Lexus dealer that I purchased the car from and corporate office was also informed. I've been going back and forth with the dealer and corporate office answering questionnaires. I was told that once the questions have been answered, the dealer can perform an investigation to try and determine the cause. Any findings will then be sent to corporate office.

I'm hesitant to accept this car even if it is determined that there is nothing wrong with it. My family is afraid to get in the car. Has anyone experienced this with the 2014 ES350? Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Thanks,

RMZ

Hi Rowel and welcome.

I don't blame you for being hesitant. You might recall the infamous sudden acceleratio Toyota had with some of the Toyota models. That recall focused on the apparent floor mats getting wedged up between the accelerator and floor mat. It gained national attention and involvment with the U S Dept. of Transportation.

At the time, Lexus was still using the Camry chassis for the ES 350's. There was concerns that if both cars were sharing components, the ES 350 might have the same acceleration problem. My memory is weak here, but I believe Lexus came out with an inspection program for late model ES's.

That being said, you can see why Lexus and the dealer are being so cautious about this. My guess is that they will not find any problems and therefore nothing to pin-point the issue. I would suggest you stay with the path the dealer and Lexus have laid out until you get some firm answer. However, in the mean time, search for Lexus sudden acceleration and collect as much info as you can. Once you have become familiar with the issue I would tell both dealer and Lexus that if the car cannot be diagnosed, it will sit in there driveway until they give you a new one, and that you are backed by the acceleration recall, your still under warranty for 3 more years, and you can turn to your states Attorney General under the "Lemon Law," if your state has such a law.

Come back and let us know how things are going.

Paul

• 2 months later...

One of my neighbors just had this same thing happen in our drive. She was pulling into our driveway and it took off. In an attempt to miss first one car, then another, then our house she amazingly cranked the wheel all the way right and proceeded to do 5 doughnuts through our yard and my next door mien orbs yard who's dive we share. It finally came to a halt in our yard and is still sitting there until the local dealer picks it up. None of use want to start it or move it. Even the dealer is postponed picking it up until they can get a flatbed over here to retrieve it. Thankfully nobody was hurt. We were all worried that she was having a medical issue because she normally is so cautious when she pulls in. Keep you posted.

BTW. alway been a car nut. Love the ES and admire Toyota greatly. I have been in design and manufacturing for close to 30 years. Anybody who has been in the industry for that long is well aware of the favorable impact Toyota has had on manufacturing, design and transportation.

I read that when all the studies on unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles was determined to be people accidently pushing the accelerator rather than the brake, no mechanical issues rather carpets and other items getting stuck under the pedals. Maybe the pedals are too close together? I have had (and still do) own multiple Toyota vehicles and never seen any indication of such. Of course I have found in my IS that intended acceleration does occur.

I must add that the "family screaming in fright" part was a notable addition. I have had this part occur which is why I really try to keep them out of my car. I'd try to duplicate the unintended acceleration in an area without anything to hit and of course, without the family in the car.