Changing Brake Pads

Hey Gang, Newbie here,

I'm going to attempt to change my brake pads on a 92 SC 400. I checked out other threads and can't get my question answered.

So far I've gathered I need to remove the center portion of the caliper assy. The thing is, other threads have said that there are 2 bolts holding the center portion I'm supposed to remove. On mine, there are 4 bolts (allen wrench style).

2 bolts holding caliper assy.

2 bolts above the 2 I just mentioned

4 bolts in the center (allen wrench style)

Also, since my pads are pretty worn, and the new pads are a lot thicker, how do I get them to fit in? How do I push the pistons back to make room for the new pads?

Any help would be much appreciated.

It should be just two 12 or 14 mm bolts on the floating portion. You only need to remove 1 and flip it up. To get the pisons back, you should open the bleeder slightly and push back on the old pads until they retract a little. Then close the bleeder asap. Try not to get air back in the line. Good luck. I'll try and snap a pic of my old ones in the garage.

To change the brake pads, you'll need to take off the bolt with the rubber boot along the same axis. Just take the top bolt off and loosen the bottom one so you can pivot the brake pads out.

This picture is on an sc300 and it's rotor and possibly the caliper is smaller. The bolt right under the " I " is the one. DISREGARD the arrows, that will only lead you to 1.5 pounds of dirt!

1744912150026_copy-med.jpg

To fit the thicker brake pads you can get a c-clamp and press the pistons in. I doubt many people have a c-clamp. However, if you do that the brake fluid level in the reservoir will rise, so you'll have to suck some of that out (just don't let any dirt drop in.

Thanks much Bubbles. The pic helps out more than you can imagine.

Also, on a completely different topic, where can I go and get a new motor and cable for the power windows... I'm assuming they all come together since the cable runs through the motor. Should I check out local junkyards or can I get it somewhere else?

Oh yeah, that happened to me too. Such a pain... The reason why it was so hard for me was because I couldn't find a position to fit my torque wrench on it (I use my torque wrench to take off those super tight bolts because the bar is longer than a combination wrench). So what I did was jack the car up higher and I finally got the torque wrench in place and I used my leg to push on the wrench.