Need Help - Car Dies Suddenly When Driving

Hi,

I was driving my car a week back and when I came to a stop light all of a sudden the car died. I turned it back on and the check engine light came on and after a minute of driving when I was pressing down on the accelerator nothing was happening (no acceleration or rpm increase), but the car was on.

I had the car towed to my ind. mechanic and he said the TPS was really dirty and cleaned it, but at the sametime he said if it occurs again the TPS will need to be changed.

Fast forward to today a similar issue occurred. It completely stalled when I was accelerating. When I started it up after it died again today it had a rough idle but after driving for a little bit the rpm stabilized.

I’m wondering if anybody has had experience like this before and if it is best to change the TPS at this point (and if so how hard is it to do by myself)?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

TPS is located next the the TB, very easy to replace DIY. What happened is the ECU went into "limp mode" and won't allow you to go fast, just barely to get you home.