Tune Up

I have a 92 lexus es300 and I will be driving it to Arizona in 2 weeks I did an oil change Bout 2 and a half months ago does in need Another change.? & should I do a tune up if so what does a tune up consists of.

TIA:) Btw I Live In LA.

My frist car dont know much srry if I ask dumb questions.

beejayy1224,

Oil changes are required at 3000 mile intervals or every 4 months (some cars are different than this), but all of this is in your owner's manual. Never skimp on an oil/filter change as it is the life blood of the car. And no, a 1992 doesn't require synthetic oil, so don't waste your money. As far as the trip is concerned, how many miles from your last oil change and how many miles will you add during the trip? Do the math, and either wait until after the trip (if math if less than 3000 mi), or do it before (if over 3000 mi), or get an oil change while in Arizona at one of those quick lube places.

As for a tune up, how many miles are on the car? How is it running? You need to read the owner's manual maintenance schedule and follow it. For instance, every 4 years the brake fluid should be flushed out, the timing belt and tensioner and perhaps the water pump should be changed every 100 000 miles, spark plugs changed every ..... and so on.

You will be able to Google search the maintenance schedule for a 92 ES to get the answers if you don't have the manual. To keep the cost of repairs down you need to do the maintenance, but a good, trusted, independent mechanic may be your best alternative as to what is required and when.

Dealerships will empty your bank account. They will do absolutely everything that is on that maintenance list, and it will put you in the poor house .... but your car will be trouble free. That independent, trustworthy mechanic I referred to, will do just what is required to keep the car running flawlessly and safely, without doing all of the extra services the dealerships want to talk you into, and will save you a lot of grief and money.

Talk to your knowledgeable friends, ask around, and you'll find a local mechanic who has a great reputation for honesty and good work. Then start up a relationship. Safe trip, and good luck!

• 2 months later...

Just for the hell of it, go to a Toyota dealer, get an oil change/oil filter/new oil drain plug gasket, air filter and basic checkup, they use Toyota oil and Toyota filters, not much better out there, change it every 3k after that and air filters/windshield wipers every 12k or once a year, have a really good alignment done to save tires (rotate/rebalance every other oil change) and wear and tear elsewhere. I don't recall if the 92 has the cabin air filter, if it does, change it at the same time.

if you have not had a tune up, fuel filter or timing belt done according to the schedule, do it. run excellent fuel and enjoy.