Engine Cannot Start, Is It A Starter Or Relay Problem?

goodjim

Hi every expert out there,

I have a 2002 ES300. I have experienced engine start problem in the past 2 weeks. This is the first time of its happening ever since I own this car. Here is the problem description:

1. When I turn the key to start, the engine does not crank. So it is not a battery problem. I installed a new battery near the end of 2011 in Walmart.

2. I can start the engine if I leave it cooled down for a while usually at least after an hour or so. So it looks like some sort of electrical circuit problem (open or short?) Once it's cooled down the circuit resumes to normal again.

I dont know if this is the starter problem or simply changing a relay wold work.

I wish it is a relay issue so I can do it by myself.

Anyone can give a hint by the problem description above?

I had the same problem occur in my 2002 es300 also. And I replaced the battery and the relay. And it turns out it was the starter. I can recall paying around 130 dollars for the starter at advanced auto. By the way I changed out the starter myself. And once you take the starter out of the vehicle you can have advanced auto parts test out the starter for faults for free. It's really easy it's kind of a pain to get to the starter but it will save you a lot of money by doing it yourself.