Kbb Value?

Tstrong2000

I just purchased my first Lexus, a 2000 RX300. I did a lot of research on the market and found that the typical 2000 RX with ~120,000 miles was priced around $7900-8500. I found one in excellent condition with 121,000 miles but the engine had been replaced with one with 83,000 miles 30 days ago. I purchased the RX for $7200 with an asking price of $8500. One of the things that I noted was the the Kelly Blue Book on this model with even 85,000 miles was listed at less than $5600. How is that the "market value" when the market is so much higher? Just curious more than anything since I am happy with the car.

I just purchased my first Lexus, a 2000 RX300. I did a lot of research on the market and found that the typical 2000 RX with ~120,000 miles was priced around $7900-8500. I found one in excellent condition with 121,000 miles but the engine had been replaced with one with 83,000 miles 30 days ago. I purchased the RX for $7200 with an asking price of $8500. One of the things that I noted was the the Kelly Blue Book on this model with even 85,000 miles was listed at less than $5600. How is that the "market value" when the market is so much higher? Just curious more than anything since I am happy with the car.

Hi Ted and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club!

Your comments surround the greatest mystery of all time; how in the world do you figure out how much to pay for a car, and drive off feeling like you paid to much.

First, I did what you probably did and went to KBB. Not that their infallable but they come pretty close. It looks to me like you got a pretty good deal. As I look at the numbers it looks like you paid just slightly less than average.

My biggest concern with your siuation is why, at only 80,500 miles would they need to put in a totaly new engine? What went wrong? What other systems were involed? Changing out an engine is like open heart surgery. Was the RX in an accident that collased the front end into the engine

Paul

Thanks for the reply. No accident as per the Carfax. According to the receipt, the engine was making "an unusual noise". The car had 121,000 miles on it at that time and they replaced it with a used engine with 83,000 at the time it was installed and the odometer had 122,000 on it when I purchased it. They had a great deal of documentation on the Carfax with 40 entries including routine maintenance. No noise of any kind from transmission when shifting into gears from cold start.

Pretty happy (it's only been 24 hours) but was confused on the KBB issue.

No on to figuring out what I am going to have to pay for a spare key. (ouch)

Sounds like you did your home work.

A tip for saving money on a new master key. Members of the Lexus Owners Club recieve an excellent discount on Lexus parts from a dealer in Dallas, Tx. The dealer is Sewell Lexus. To contact them go to

" sewellparts.com". When you log-in, there will be a section where you can enter your membership to the LOC.

I lost one of my fobs in August. the local dealer wanted $320.00 for a new key with fob and programing.

I went to Sewell and got the part for $162. Let us know how things turn out

• Like 1