Cabin Filter

Bucknut

Look for a plastic cover to the right of the gas pedal held in place by two fasteners of some sort. It may not be easy to see and maybe covered or partially coverage by carpet. Supposedly the filters slide out. There may be photos in a prior thread on this forum but I could not find them.

The diagram at the following link shows the filters (part number 88880-33020): http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8714870391-Electrical-ES300-1998.html The price from Sewell is $35.53 if you register with your forum member name.

If you have the maintenance schedule, check to see if the filters are a normally replaceable item and at what intervals. You might be able to clean them with compressed air.

I remember doing this on my 99 es300 a few years ago. Come to think, it's probably time to do it again. There was a post somewhere that covered this. I did have to lift part of the carpet to the right of the gas pedal. From what I understand, a lot of cars did not come with a filter installed, just an empty slot. After lifting the carpet a bit and removing a small cover, there were a few small leaves in there. The filter comes in two pieces. The first one slides in then up. The second one just slides in on the first row.