Mark Levenson Subwoofer Question

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have one question I would like to address. About a year ago in my GS 430, my subwoofer was blown. When I took the car to the dealer I had it removed so I could possibly repair it. Well since I'm not to familiar with the replacement of the foam surroundings I thought it would just be best to send the speaker in and have it done professionally. Make a long story short the guys who took out the speaker told me that "technically" the speakers shouldn't work with the subwoofer being taken out.. So some how they rigged something up in order for my sound system to operate without the subwoofer in place. Well it's been about a year since I had the speaker removed and have yet to send the sub in for replacement.. Is there a chance I have done harm to the amp by this set up? I'm am looking to send the sub in this week to get replaced but the only place I was able to find was in california.. Any other websites in mind that anyone has experience with? Or second option.. Am I better off buying an off brand speaker that anyone has had experience with?

I know I'm asking a lot, but there's no need to get this done sloppy.. I would just buy a new sub, but don't want to drop close to $400 on a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mike and welcome to the Club.

Mike,in a nut shell, if the Lexus techs had placed a "load" (capacitor or like)to compensate for the missing sub, you should be allright.

I recommend calling a company in New York called "United Radio" I have heard nothing but good things about this company, and the only company that works on Mark Levinson components. That means they can repair instead of just throw the old one away and put in a new one. Talk with them about your sub situation and I bet they can save you some money.

Paul

http://unitedradio.com/automotive/

http://unitedradio.com/automotive/

Hello paul,

Thanks for your reply! I called united radio and they said they only service ML amps. But I came across Orange County speaker repair out of California and they are able to repair ML speakers. Have you heard of them?

http://www.speakerrepair.com

I called United Radio as well to get informed more about their service offerings, what others brands they work on and warraanty poloicies.

They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable about audio electronics. They give all of their repair work a full one year guarantee. I feel comfortable in recomending them for car audio equipment repair.

As for the Orange County company, I have not heard of them. Let me explain the situation with ML service and repair.

Lexus and Mark Levinson have a relationship in which ML license to Lexus the use of their product, name, promotion, and limited service capabilities. The limited service capabilities means that Lexus dealerships do not have access to schematics, wiring diagrams, detailed parts, or instrumrnts necessary to perform repairs. The Lexus technician only determines the probable bad component, unplugs it, and plugs in a new part. This is the quickest way for the dealer to fix the problem. But it's also in all likely hood the most exspensive for the customer. If you talk to any Lexus service manager or technician, they will uaualy tell you they hate this arrangment. From their perspective the customer is always unhappy because they are forced to pay around $2,300. for a new Mark Levinson amp. Secondly, they have no way of knowing if the amp is really bad or not. It usually ends up with a less than ideal relationship.

This arms length arrangment from Levinson really took me by suprise when I found out that United Radio would work on their amps. The first amp repair figure I heard of was around $450 compared to that $2,300 I mentioned earlier.

All in all the Mark Levenson system is still one of the best in car audio. Last week I read a review of the 10 best car audio systems. Mar Levinson was in a tug of war for first or second.

Paul