Need Help! My Son Is Planning To Purchase A '97 Sc400 With No

My son is has a new drivers license and enough cash to buy an SC400. I really love these cars, but the specific car that he wants to buy has 140,000 miles and the current owner, who is not the original owner, does not have any documentation on the car and no service records. I know these cars are rock solid reliable, but I'm not crazy about even considering a car with no service records with this many miles. I plan to have my mechanic check out the car before we consider purchase, but can you guys and girls tell me what I should look out for on any SC400 with this many miles? What are the tell tale signs of a problem vehicle?

Hi Doug and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I agree with your concerns about purchasing a car without a pedigree. My first problem with the transaction is that your buying from an individual, not a Lexus dealer. This is just one of my "things" and in this situation where the seller is not the original owner, it becomes even more of a concern.

The miles is not a big deal depending on how long your keeping it and how many more miles you intend to put on. Many Lexus cars are in use with 175,000 to 225,000 miles and going strong.

I think I would pass on this one and look for one that has a verifiable service history.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

What is the asking price and what is his repair/maintenance budget?

My son bought one under similar circumstances. He paid $2400 and immediately spent $1500 on a timing belt, water pump, gaskets, plugs, and wires. It runs like a top with 140k miles on it.

Thanks for the information. My son is now looking at a second SC400 with 140,000 miles and good service records. The owner is asking $5900 for the car has issues....torn seats, illegal exhaust, etc. The price is high, but I never let a crazy high asking price prevent me from trying to work a deal!

I will check the history of the car for service records on the exact items you list. Thanks for the information, Chris

• 3 weeks later...