Steering Rack Leakage

I have Lexus RX350 09 model. It had mileage of 82000 kms when I bought it. Its on 95000kms now. Lately I started noticing steering wheel vibration when I apply brakes even at lower speed. My mechanic told me that there is a leakage in the steering rack and rack has to be replaced. He also advised me to change the rotors, brake pads and shim kits. Also said that to change the oil filter cooler pipe and gasket. The new pipe has got metal joint instead of fitted one which is made up of rubber. The entire estimate sits at around C$2000. Does his advice makes sense? Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Do you notice any leakage under the car on your driveway/garage floor? If you don't see fluid leakage, I doubt there is anything wrong with your steering rack. What you describe sounds like a classic case of warped brake rotors. I would start by taking the car to another shop and telling them your want your rotors "turned". This is a process where the rotors are cut on a lathe to even out any warpage. All rotors are marked with their minimal allowed thickness. As along as your rotors can be trued without going below their minimal thickness, they will be fine. If they can't, you will have to replace them. Brake pads may or may not need to be replaced based on their remaining thickness. Brake rotors do not normally warp unless they get very hot. This is usually caused by people who drive with their left foot on the brake pedal. It doesn't take much pedal pressure to make the pads contact the rotors.

Bottom line, I would get the rotors turned first and then see if the problem still exists.

Thanks Jetfixer for your advice. I did see the leakage on the steering rack. I took the second opinion too so I had no choice but to go for repairs. Appreciate your suggestion though, thanks once again.