Best Oil To Use?

Hi, I recently bought a 99 es300. I'm guessing the dealer recently changed the oil and I have less than 100 miles on the oil change, but I fear they used a cheaper oil etc. I'd feel alot better changing the oil myself so I know exactly what's in it and when it was put in it. Especially since I'm moving in a week and will be dropping about 3k miles on it.

I don't care if it costs a bit more, I just want what is best for the car, even if it costs a little more. But at the same time I see no reason to buy just because it costs more. The car has 160k miles on it, doesn't burn oil, and all in all seems very well taken care of.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I recently put mobile 1 10w-30 in mine. Was on sale though so only cost me 20bux for filter, oil, and drain tub. Autozone rewards point system payed off...My GS is pushing 250k miles...

I went ahead and went for the ultra. Costs a good bit more, but really just about the cost of a fill up in California. Hopefully it does as advertised and cleans things up a bit and prevents sludge or cleans it out.

I have the autozone rewards card, looking forward to it paying off(although the discount it gives is nice anyway).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use and quite highly recommend Mobil 1 Extended Performance Fully Synthetic 5W30 oil with a Mobil M1-102 oil filter. No, I am not a shareholder and I have no ties to ExxonMobil whatsoever. I have a '97 ES300, a 2000 ES300, and a 2004 GX-470. I use the same oil on all of them. You can purchase a 5-quart container (exactly the amount for the ES-300) from Walmart for about $27. You can't get the Mobil oil filter there, though. I purchased a 2-pack (oil filter) from Amazon for $22 - free shipping. My '97 ES300 has about 225K miles. The 2000 ES300 has 162K miles. I just changed the valve cover gaskets (natural wear) on both ES300s and the crankcases were so clean - no sludge whatsoever. I only change the oil in each vehicle every 6 months. It's a 15,000 mile oil, but I change it every 6 months regardless.

By the way, as mentioned earlier, I have no ties to any products I recommend. I only recommend what I know works well for my vehicles. Do some research online and you'll see that most motor oil experts or engineers recommend Mobil 1 and/or Royal Purple. I would love to use Royal Purple, but it's much more expensive. Maybe someday I can get an LFA - maybe win the lottery. Then, I'll invest in the Royal Purple oil.

Lastly, I originally used Castrol Syntec and Castrol Syntec Edge. They are both excellent alternatives. I never had any problems with them and I was very happy using them. I switched to Mobil 1 when I did some research and discovered that the Castrol products are not fully synthetic. Again, do some online research.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use Mobil One and filter also, Its the best for the money. Of course the royal purple is good but too expensive. As a Drilling Fluids Engineer, Mobil One was tested at a well site just for fun, it was a Amoco Drilling site, Exxon would just die if they knew you were having fun, but the lubricity tests, rheology tests,viscosity under severe temps,all were better than the other 2 tested. I wont say what they were but one started with a V, the other a P. We had no royal purple to test.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get your hands on it i would go with Mobil 1 Extended Performance. If you get both the Extended Performance oil and matching filter, Mobil guaranties the oil change for 10,000 miles. Obviously you should still check your oil for color and level, but as long as Mobils product does as advertised everything should be perfect for 10,000 miles. The oil and filter are more on the pricey side, but if you think about it your getting more then 3 times the normal amount of miles out of this oil change. Mobil calls this oil their "once a year oil change"