Need Some Help With Axle/spindle

cliffy

Hi Guys:

Here's my problem: I was changing out my wife’s rotors and pads on her 1999 RX300 AWD when I noticed a crack in the front right spindle knuckle- right on the arm that holds the caliper retaining bolt. I picked up a used knuckle at a salvage yard, which had the wheel bearing, and ball joint attached. I removed axle nut, the tie rod, the two bolts that hold the knuckle to the strut, and the bolts holding the ball joint to the lower arm and pulled out the knuckle. I put the used knuckle back in place, and secured everything in reverse order. Replaced the rotors and pads finishing the brake job. Upon test driving, I noticed immediately that something isn’t right, sounds like the axle is not catching somewhere- either at the right front hub or at the transfer case. It’s making a clicking - borderline grinding noise. Note: only when in forward gear not in reverse. Anyone know what I should check? I pulled it apart and put it back together again-Everything seems tight. I haven't been driving it. Thanks!

Maybe the new hub with bearing has a defective bearing in it....That would require replacement and the use of a press to accomodate this.

You are sure the axle shaft didnt pop out of the transfer case....there is a circlip that locks it in...The shaft can be in the case but not locked onto the drive gear....You should not be able to pull the axle shaft next to the transfer case in and out...It should be relatively tight.

Thanks for the reply lenore- I picked up another knuckle and bearing. Going to swap them tomorrow after work. Figured since I'm taking it apart anyway might as well. I can always return the one I don't use. I'll post back results.