Possible Purchase

plexer09

Hello all. So for about the last month I have been looking at the 01-03 range of LS430's. I absolutely love them and have been reading a lot on here as well as other places, about their awesome reliability. I have saved up for a car and these seem like awesome luxury cars, that won't break the bank. I have seen ones around and unfortunately missed out on a few.

http://www.autonatio...ist&PhotoType=1

I found this gem, however, it is high mileage. 182k. The last owner put ~22k a year on the car (Carfax is Available on the Link). So I'm assuming the last bit of it's life from 44k onward was mostly highway. Although I do not know for sure.

you all seem to have great knowledge on these cars!

So I would ask, what do you think about this one in paticular?

Also, It has been there for awhile and I would imagine I have room to negotiate with them. Not to mention this dealer goes through the cars pretty well before selling.

Thank you all for any feedback!

The mileage should not be a big concern IF proper maintenance has been performed. Your job is to dig into past records, do a carfax and take it to a mechanic for another opinion. One high dollar item is the timing belt/water pump service. It *should* be on its third one. If I am reading that correctly, the price is $7995. For a 2003 LS430 that is an absolute steal, imo. Also makes me wonder why though?

Will do. That answer was what I was looking for. Well I watched them have another LS with 116k go for 9k. It was there for 2 months ( which I almost got but just missed it). They must not re-sell well here. The car has been sitting there for awhile as well ( little over a month). Yes that is the asking price.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

In your area (Seattle) the Prius is probably a much better seller and the LS is most likely considered a pretentious gas guzzler. Your gain. The LS does not sell well in my area either. Most here (N. Indiana) consider it to be out of their grasp...too expensive to own and repair. I think it is very reasonable to own and repair and I consider them an amazing automotive bargain.

Approach it cautiously, do your homework and buy(after haggling a bit) if it checks out. Remember the timing belt/water pump (which should be done every 90k miles) can cost $1k or more at a shop. Best wishes with your search.

As a friend (who was also a car dealer) told me before purchase, make sure EVERYTHING is in working order prior to purchase.

Fixing even small things on the LS 430 can be expensive. LOL

Due diligence is key. Take it for a test drive or two. Let it sit and idle while you get out of the car and listen to the engine for any oddities. To be thorough, you should ask to take it to an independent mechanic and see what the 411 is. Yes, I'm sure the lot has it's own mechanics but just to let them know you're serious about getting the car because it will give you more leverage when you negotiate (i.e. I'm going to buy this car right now/today if you give me a worthwhile price). Hope this is helpful for you.