Rear Wheel Lock Up

bouros

I own an rx300 2001 model after a stop every now and then it makes a spinning sound coming from the right rear tire as the wheel locked up and got released suddenly and it feels like the tire spinning and goes free. it happens on certain days 5-10 times always after braking in traffic and you start up again. Any ideas??

• 10 years later...

I just had the same experience. I made a right turn into a parking lot and had driven about 100 feet when I heard a mechanical noise, like I ran over something, followed by the immediate locking of the right rear wheel. The wheel was dragging and I fully expected to find a blown tire. Instead, witnesses said the wheel simply wasn't turning, but was dragging.

I turned the car off, and not knowing anything else to do, started it, backed it up a foot and then forward. The wheel unlocked and I was able to drive it, 30 miles, home with no recurrence, but much trepidation.

On a couple of other turns, I noticed the right rear wheel spinning out as if it was getting far more traction than the left, and that's made me suspect the differential.