Differential Fluid Change?

OhFour330RX

I've seen different things regarding this topic. I have a 2004 RX330 with 146,000 miles on it that has never had differential fluid service. I've heard it is not required on these vehicles as it has been designed to be maintenance free. Is this correct? If not, will changing out the gear oil cause harm to the differential with oil this old?

If your question is about the rear differential yes the gear oil should be changed every 30000 miles, if your environment is harsh, you tow a boat etc it may require a different service interval.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle why wouldn't you service it ? There is no viable argument to not service the differential.

I do suggest changing the gear oil and the two drain and fill seals. Use a little extra fluid and flush it out .

Thanks for the reply. Obviously best bet is to change fluids in intervals but I did not receive this vehicle until it had 140,000 miles on it. My only fear is that since it's been so many miles without changing it that flushing it out is going to be an issue. I know that when you don't do tranny flushes it can get to the point where the viscosity of the fluid is holding parts together, and I'm worried the same applies to the differential.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously best bet is to change fluids in intervals but I did not receive this vehicle until it had 140,000 miles on it. My only fear is that since it's been so many miles without changing it that flushing it out is going to be an issue. I know that when you don't do tranny flushes it can get to the point where the viscosity of the fluid is holding parts together, and I'm worried the same applies to the differential.

The rear diff is a totally different mechanical mechanism than the transmission. It's sturdy and tough. Go ahead and change the fluid. A lot of folks like the Royal Purple brand of diff lube...I use Castrol synthetic in my RX300 and it works fine. Check a manual to see if you need a limited slip additive as well. Make sure that you can begin to unscrew the top (fill) plug before you drain it!