Rear Wheel Camber

jolomo

I recently acquired a 2001 RX300 AWD from my daughter, which she purchased new. The Lexus had 128,000 miles and the tires needed replacing but appeared serviceable for the 1000 mile trip home. It looked like she had been running them underinflated. Also the Lexus had never been in an accident.

I had the vehicle serviced for the trip home. The service station told me that the right rear tire was almost bald on the inside, but the rest of the tire looked ok. Also, I needed an alignment. I replaced the tires immediately once I returned home.

I had an alignment performed a week ago and afterwards, noticed that the right wheel has a noticeable negative camber. The left looks OK. I called the alignment shop and they stated that the rear wheel camber is non-adjustable but was in spec.

The alignment shop where I took it measured the right rear camber at -1.2 degrees. They claim the acceptable camber range is -1.3 to 0.2 degrees. This is close to the limit. The left rear was -0.2 degrees.

I don't know if I have a problem or not. Do I only need to rotate the tires frequently? The Lexus seems to drive and handle nicely after the new tires and the alignment, but I am used to driving big Ford pickups. I appreciate your help.

Thanks, John

HI John

There may be an small issue with the camber due to it being knocked in the past. Its not dangerous but frustratingly you will wear the tyres more on that right rear wheel.

Rotating them will help so you do not wear the tires out too quickly.

To be honest, i think it will take ages to wear the tires out.