Car Shakes/vibrates When Applying Brakes Going Down A Slope At 60 Mph

timzter

My 2010 ES 350 had been having this issue for several months. When the car was going down a slope (say 20 degrees) at 60+ mph and I tapped on the brakes to prevent the car from accelerating due to the slope, the car would shake/vibrate/chatter (however, you want to call it). Releasing my foot from the brake pedal stopped the shaking. Applying the brakes again resumed the shaking immediately. I brought the car in recently to the Lexus service center for my oil change and told them to take a look at the problem. They found out that it was caused by patchy rust build-up on the ______ (oops! the name of the part suddenly escapes me) on all 4 wheels--I think it's the metal part that comes into contact with the brake pads. I had to leave my car there for a day for them to polish the part on all 4 wheels. It's working fine now. So if you feel the chattering vibrations when you step on the brakes when going down an incline, bring the car in. They said it is dangerous if it doesn't get addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the vibration is still happening, but only felt when the car is moving at around 60+ mph DOWN a slightly inclined road, say 15 degrees or more, AND I step lightly (AND maintain my step) on the brakes. So the rotor polishing did NOT solve it. At this point, I don't care anymore since my lease ends in the beginning of January, and I plan to have the dealership put me on a new lease of the 2013 ES350 well before the lease on my current 2010 ES350 ends. But I can't believe the vibration is happening at all for such a relatively new car. I had the same thing happen on my previous Infiniti J30 and the diagnosis was that some "strut bearing" (??) had to be replaced. (Definitely "strut" something....can't remember the exact part name.) And that DID resolve it. I mentioned it to Lexus in case it was the same issue, but they brushed me off and insisted it was due to the rotors.