98es

Bought our 2005 RX330 AWD about a year ago with 80k on the odo (has 94k now). This is our 3rd Lexus and with a new baby we needed the room. Took it in for the 90k mile service at my local toyota/lexus independent shop, and boy was I surprised at what the inspection found!

Leaking rack and pinion seal ($986 to replace)

Leaking front differential ($900 to fix)

Seeping valve cover gaskets ($400 including tune up- going to wait until 120k service)

All I can say is, WOW. So to get her up and fixed, including the 90k service i'm looking at around $3k. Not at all what I expected from a Lexus. Car was dealer maintained until around 50k when previous owner had local shop maintenence done. Sold my '98 ES300 at 165k and still have my '01 LS430 at 145k and have never spent combined more than $500 on repairs (not including maintenance).

My wife loves the car and it's definitely serving its purpose as a family hauler- but if these are the types of repair bills i have to look forward to, no thanks! I'm even toying with the idea of trading it in... I just don't even know what I would replace it with.

I will say that both of these "leaks" have yet to leave any fluid on my garage. Mechanic thinks that replacing the rack and pinion is the most urgent.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Do you trust your mechanic.? If you see no leaks, than let it go...Have the fluid changed on the power steering and as for the valve covers could it just be oil spills from changing the oil. Also change the PCV valve as maybe the engine is building up too much pressure.

Thanks Lenore. First time using this mechanic... Former Lexus master tech at local Lexus dealership that recently opened his own shop. He said that the valve covers were just seeping now and recommended I wait til 120k when they change the spark plugs.

Thanks for the advice on the pcv. I've changed one before on my '98 ES and it was very simple. As for the other problems, I'll take your advice and wait til they show signs of leaking and revisit then.

Went out to take a look underneath the car... I've attached a pic of the rack and pinion. This is from the passenger side. The boot is destroyed! I expected to see some seepage or something around the seals. So my question is- Is this the "seal" that commonly leaks or is this something different? There is not fluid dripping out of it that i can see... but i do see some type of what looks like grease in the boot. I assume this is the PS fluid that has become dirty? Nothing on my garage floor though.

post-13068-0-60412800-1344116240_thumb.j

Sounds to me like the mechanic is trying to get his new business off to a roaring start.

For that much cash you may want to get a second, or even third, opinion from other sucessful and established mechanics.