Driving Position Memory System

The Driving Position Memory System on my GS300 has never worked since I purchased the car two years ago (car was previously owned by a widow so doubt this system has ever been used). I followed the steps in the owner's manual, but the beep never sounds to indicate the memory has registered. The owners manual doesn't indicate there is a dedicated fuse for this system. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

Just checking: You have the ignition switch in the ON position; the transmission is in Park; you press and hold the SET button and then press L1 or LS while continuously pressing the SET button.

I checked the repair manuals for my 2000 LS400 and see that there is a fairly lengthy diagnostic procedure for this issue which involves the use of the Lexus handheld scan tool. We could speculate about the cause of the problem but the lowest cost solution is probably to have someone familiar with the diagnostic procedure figure out the problem.