Creaking Noise From Rear Tire

Hey everyone!

The other day I noticed a creaking sound coming from one of my rear tires. At one point I grabbed a hold of the roof rack and rocked the car and could clearly hear the sound coming from the tire. I made an appointment to have it checked out, but then it suddenly disappeared. Any thoughts? Was this just some temporary rust or should I still get it checked out?

The only other way I can describe this noise is that is sounded like a really old mattress.

This is on a 2001 Lexus RX 300

Thanks!

DJ

I don't think the "creaking" is coming from your tire, because there is nothing in a tire that should make a sound like an "old mattress".

That being said, there are a number of things very close to the tire that could "creak", such as springs, struts, and stabilizer bushings, to mention a few.

It certainly would not hurt to have it checked out...but as long as your lug nuts were torqued correctly, the creaking was not coming from the tire...IMHO.