Catalitic Converters On A 2008 Es 350

rfg08

I'm new to this forum stuff, so if I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize. Just wondering, if the state doesn't test your exhaust emissions any more, is there any performance benefit in removing the material from the catalitic converters ? Wouldn't there be an increase in hp with the decrease in back pressure. Would there be any detrimental effects on the engine if this is done? Thanks Rfg08

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I just got back in town an read your reply. Unlike some people, I've taken some time to mull over your technical response before giving an ill concieved answer. "Rude and Irresponsible" First of all I wasn't implying I was going to remove my Catalytic Converters, I was simply asking a technical question as to the cars performance. If however I were to remove them, my vehicle would be among the other 800,000,000 other vehicles without catalitic converters. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people judge other people. Your response of "Rude and Irresponsible" was just that, Rude and irresponsible. It is an opinion based some enviornmental science that 50% of the scientific community holds. The other 50% think all these enviornmental restrictions do nothing but put money in some bureaucrats pockets. So next time someone asks a serious technical question, may be you should just take the time to add some useful information and not come off as some pompus !Removed!.

Right...because I've never added any useful information to this site...in the 10+ years I've been a member, the 18,000+ posts I've written, or the time I've dedicated to managing the forums here. Thank God you came along...last Saturday...and called me out on it :rolleyes:

You say you're new to forums so I'll give you some advice. If you only want to hear the responses you want to hear...don't post on an internet forum. I'll give you another piece of advice...don't admonish the top contributor to the site you've just joined suggesting that he "contribute something of substance" with your second post ever on the forum if you want to become a part of the community.

There are other people in the world, illegally increasing your vehicles emissions for your own enhanced performance is "rude" and "irresponsible" by the very definitions of those terms. It has nothing to do with what scientists believe or don't believe, you're operating a vehicle on public roadways and you have a responsibility as a citizen to keep your vehicle in street-legal and safe condition at all times whether your state has inspections or not. Whether or not the engine will have "more power" or not is immaterial...its illegal and it makes your vehicle unsafe to be driven on public roads. Since others have to drive on those roads...doing that would be rude...and inconsiderate.

As to there being "800,000,000 vehicles without catalytic converters"...thats a huge overstatement. In the US there are 254,212,610 passenger vehicles as of 2009 as per the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Only 38.3% of those are older than 10 years old. Since catalytic converters have been required in the US since 1975...I would venture to say VERY few street vehicles exist on US roads that do not have catalytic converters. As for the rest of the world...I don't really care because I live in the US, but even so...most other countries also require the use of catalytic converters and have for 20+ years. There are an estimated 1 Billion cars worldwide as of 2011, you're saying 80% of them don't have catalytic converters? Hardly.

But...you "weren't considering removing your catalytic converters" so what are we even arguing about? To answer your question, no simply removing the catalytic converters will not increase the vehicle's power.

Move along.

Steve, 18000, I am truly impressed. I was only implying that your oiginal answer to my post was not useful, I do apprieciate the work involved in addministoring to a forum like this. I think if you had given me that last reply to my orriginal question, we would not have had this heated exchange. I'm am now moving on. Thanks for answering, Bob

Steve; Yah, i thought I would just quietly bow out, but I changed my mind. Nice try guy, but your Stats don't begin to tell the hole story. Ok, I'll give you there are approximately 1 billion cars world wide, but how about the 200,000,000 motor cycles, Have you ever seen one with a catalitc converter? Or the umteen million power boats, tractors, riding lawn mowers, trains, planes, etc,etc. I think my 800,000,000 number is not such a stretch. Now I'll move on. Have a nice day.

Manufacturers of marine engines definitely can have catalytic converters, and many of the new models in fact do. Same is true of motorcycle exhaust systems. Over the next few years they'll be required. Makes no difference though because we've been talking about passenger vehicles.

Removing your catalytic converter is illegal, bottom line...whether other engines exist without them or not.